Thursday, July 21, 2011

Wednesday, July 30th, 2008


Time Event
7:46a
Back to LTS
Well after a week off last night went really well. I taught 1 1/2 SS classes on my own- always difficult as its so hard to keep attention for the full time. The first instructor just didn't show up- which is very unusual, so hopefully he is okay, and the other instructor had told me she was going to be late so I knew about that.

I found out that most of my SS 1 kids don't know what "backwards" means, though my SS 2/3 kids understand the concept just fine. We even put our hands on our front, hands on our back. Then skated to the front, and skated to the back, and half of them turned around. So then I told them while we did wiggles they should be able to see my face the whole time, and if they could see the wall that meant they were going the wrong way. I just stopped using the word backwards totally. All but one got that, the last being difficult claimed he could see me in the hockey glass. He's just annoyed he can't do wiggles- though also won't go "backwards" if I ask it that way. This is the first class where that word was a problem.

Teaching must have gotten me used to the way the blades feel on the ice, because when we did stroking to warm up for my lesson the labored feeling from Monday was gone. I don't think they glide quite as well as my gold seals, but the edges are certainly more secure (and these have a rocker!) I can do my mohawks again, though not very well. We worked a lot on inside back 3s, and I did okay on one side but not on the other. In a combo I did a really gorgeous one, then Andy picked the steps apart and I realized I thought it was an outside back 3, not an inside, and since I thought I was doing the easy one I did it fine. Once I knew it was the hard one I lost it. HAHAH.

We worked on power 3s and the new blades are going to make a huge difference on my test. They are almost SILENT. It's actually kind of weird to not hear the scratching all over the place, even though I know that was wrong.

Last Andy introduced us to loops (figure kind, not jumps). Just from a 3-turn, no actual figure. I got a really nice one on my first try, and I think he was truly suprised. He didn't expect anyone to actually get them. After that I could do them, but no where near as well as that beginner luck. They kind of got oblong, or shaky. And then on my bad side they were TEENY and I couldn't get any sort of exit edge!

My own practice I did some wussy waltz jumps and toe loops. I can pull together a bit better in the toe loop now- so maybe the toe waltz will go away. But both jumps were very small because the feeling of the landing was so different. I was very scared to do it.

Then I did some spins, and not there yet. My two foot spin happens most of the time, and my one foot spin I got 3 revolutions in the "wind up, lift your foot" preperation- but no cross. However, I did it on back and fwd spin. I just really need to lift my toes up on these, because the sweet spot is way further back on my blade then on my last ones. If I can get it, it should make for quieter spins. I just need a bit more work. Doing them from crossovers was out of the question, I just totally lost my balance.

Last, I worked on crossovers. They are still very ackward, but are getting there. I no longer get a rip on the underpush, they are just silent. While it's good the scratching is gone, it's still so weird to be quiet. I've lost my fwd progressives. I can't get the blade to skim the ice :(

No comments: