Thursday, July 21, 2011

Friday, May 30th, 2008


Time Event
5:16p
Saturday MITF lesson

I forgot to write down the notes about last weekends MITF lesson with Courtney. It was really great to go over the patterns- wow do I have a lot to work on! However, I was happy that my overall edge quality was complimented. I need to stop chickening out on 3 turns though. It's just speed- it doesn't make the turn any different.

First off- wow, this was a hard lesson. She made me work hard for the 45 minutes. The plan was to do each move as if I was testing it, pick it apart, work on it, then do it again as if testing it.

Forward power crossovers- This I think was the most shocking on on how much work I need. Apparently rather than stepping on an inside edge I was stepping onto a flat. So she changed my arms (no longer changing them like on basic edges, more just shifting my upper body like you do on cross rolls) to minimize movements to help my balance and has my leg position slightly different to insure a strong inside edge. WOW- once I get that the power part really comes into play. Occasionally I get kind of scared about the speed and have problems doing a left crossover because I don't want to pick my foot up, but I have faith I can get this move well- as long as the session is pretty empty. I can however see some bad wipeouts if I'm not careful.

Backward power crossovers- First problem- I chicken out on the entry. So instead of a 3 turn, I'm doing a mohawk, which isn't my favorite thing to do, but if I go into it slowly I CAN do it, where the 3 turn, eh not always. Second issue- the approach to the move has completely changed. My previous coach was all about speed, now it's all about edge quality- which should generate power. My lobes now need to be "big and juicy"- now that I understand the body position, this one just needs some practice.

Power 3 turns- My biggest issue here is starting. If I can get the first 3-turn I can get the rest. The first one is the biggest issue. Stupid 3 turns. Courtney suggested I make the lobes on the 3 turns larger, and I'm not sure that's quite how the pattern should work based on the rulebook drawings. She told me this pattern was really good, just a bit scratchy, if I can just not chicken out. On the second side I do fine.

Back crossovers to back outside edge- This used to be one of my weakest moves, but Courtney said it's probably my best. She did make one change that makes me SO happy. My previous coach was insistant that I must turn my head completley on each back extension. She said that she'd rather me not move it- as especially on the left side my lack of rotation in my neck really throws me off- and would rather see good leg lines, good edges, good power. So now that I don't have to turn my head- except for running into people, I am pretty happy with this move.

Five step mohawk- This is still my least favorite move. I'm jumping on the mohawk and apparently I'm doing the slip step wrong. So she gave me some things to work on, encouraged me to count the move so that each step is held for the same amount of time. This one needs a lot of practice.


Also I've been skating too long. While watching SYTYCD I keep hoping they will spin. Never ever before skating did I call a turn that!

No comments: