Thursday, July 21, 2011

Dumpy Dress : Sept 15, 2008

Dress
Here is the dress-
I still need to
1) put elastic into the neckline
2) redo sleeve that is puckering
3) figure out how to take in the bodice so that it's a tighter!

Do you think I should take the red off the sleeves entirely? That will be easier than fixing it and trying to make them even. Then I'd hem the sleeve shorter.

I'm torn on whether I like this dress or not. It kind of looks dumpy. But then in some views (my mirror more than the picture) I think this is a good skirt.

Either way, I'm now convinced enough in my sewing abilities that I can help with the synchro dresses for all side seams, set in sleeves, and elastic to the leg line. I cannot help with skirt to panty, or skirt to dress, or neckline line elastic. I can also cut and line.

Opinions?



This is the dress I posted about yesterday. I haven't done elastic on the neckline yet, and I need to redo the sleeve which is puckering because I used too tight of a stitch and it stretched.. It is Kwik Sew 3502 (I think). I made the medium, without any alterations, and the bodice is too big for me. I'm thinking I'll have to take the skirt off to do any alterations which sucks.
A slightly less flattering angle and a weird faace because I didn't know the picture was being taken- but hear you can see the sleeve which is not puckering. Do you like the red? Or should I just take it off the sleeve entirely (that would be the easiest option... rather than trying to make them even.) I raised the neckline an inch from the pattern- I can't imagine how low it is supposed to be! It's going to be very open shouldered- which is a bit of a problem since the dress is loose. Maybe I can take in from the center seam instead of the side?




Edit to [livejournal] add: I figured out why I think it's "dumpy". Other than the fact that it's too big, which I don't think you can see, so much as I can feel (There is no negative ease- it just fits. Won't work for activewear) the problem is that the skirt fabric makes it look very homemade. That fabric would be better as a bodice, I think. I made the dress upside down, essentially. Maybe I should cut the small in opposite colors and see how it turns out.

Comments: Okay- the red is coming off the arms entirely. I'm still trying to figure out how to take in the sides. I think I'm going to have to take off the skirt to do it (and then it will be easy, but I really don't want to take off the skirt. That's the PITA part!

Now I've got to get the neckline elastic in!

No comments: