Thursday, July 21, 2011

Thursday, October 16th, 2008


Time Event
8:31a
Passed Freestyle 3!

Tuesday was a fantastic day- I FINALLY passed Freestyle 3! I was pity passed by Burton before Andy even started teaching the group lessons (maybe December? I think it might have even been before then, but I can't find the date) Either way, I didn't have a backspin with a crossed foot, and my inside 3s only worked sometimes. Now my inside 3s always work when that's all I'm doing (on the silver move pattern is another story) and I can cross my backspin MOST of the time- during our test I crossed it on 5 backspins in a row, and got 3-5 revolutions on all but one of them. So I can now be stuck in Freestyle 4 for the rest of my life- since it has a loop in it :(

Andy tested us, since I think he's getting pretty tired of Freestyle 3 things- even though we don't generally only work on level elements. So two of us are in Freestyle 4, and two are in Freestyle 3. (Except the other girl in FS 4 with me has an axel and a double sal, but she hasn't done all the moves elements.)

After we did the test, we worked on sit spins. I did some- until my knee started hurting, but apparently that's not a good indicator of when I need to stop, because the next day, they hurt really badly. Anyhow- none were good, I ended up on my butt after every one of them, but that's an improvement over my "what do you mean I'm not sitting" spin, where I'm not even close enough to the ice to fall. Andy is having me support my weight by putting my hand on my knee, which does make it easier to sit, but seems to mess with my balance a bit. I really want to get this, but I also don't want to wreck my knees. After my knees were done I worked on backspins, and was able to get a good enough position that I started working on the exit- I can either get the "down" or the "kick" but not "down and kick", so I'm still stuck in a backspin with no exit edge. I'm still super happy though because the backspins were fantastic.

After the lesson I put my pads on and worked on jumps. The novice level skater who occasionally skates at our rink, was practicing, so didn't I feel silly wearing pads for waltz jumps while he was working on triples, but it's the only way I'm going to get these jumps to move! (And he was the one who first suggested I wear pads.) Anyhow- I really feel like the waltz jumps are going further across the ice. Maybe they actually aren't, but they feel better. The young girl I always skate with suggested I "stop putting my foot down to land so soon". I'll work on that :) My salchows didn't go well though. I tried a few flips, and I think I need more height on the half flip, because I can't get the full rotation. Then I did some half lutzes, and while I'm sure they don't really leave the ice either- they FEEL the highest.

Now the bad news- although skating was fine, when I took my boots off I was in so much pain I could barely walk. I had done something to my achilles tendon (pull? strain? what's the right word) and it hurt so badly that I didn't sleep almost at all Tuesday night, because I kept waking myself up. Today (thursday) it still hurts walking downstairs, and a bit while I'm walking, but I'm going to try to skate. I can't figure out what would have caused this, except that I switched my ankle pads. I lost a pad last wednesday, and got Bunga pads instead of Silipos (that I previously had) as a replacement because lots of people say they are better, and Jenskates had them for the cheapest padding price. Well they are a little bit thicker, and I think that messed up the feel of the boots. When I took the pads off I had bruises around the edges of the pads, plus this achilles tendon problem. It's the only thing I can think that was different.

So Wednesday I went to synchro off ice, and walked through the program (even though THAT hurt too, I tried not to twist on the foot to make it worse). We learned a bit of easy new footwork to add to the circle, so I could have picked that up next week, but practice is so much better when everyone is there. Then I watched the first 30 minutes of on ice, while they worked on a traveling straightline pinwheel, I tried to listen to what the coach was saying about how to travel, and caught some of it from the sides of the rink! I'm glad I didn't skate because my tendon still hurts today, but I hate paying for ice time I don't use. I need to decide soon whether or not I should cancel my lesson tonight.

I made a new dress this weekend- a mock up of our synchro outfit for this year. I'm still having trouble with bunching at the waist, but overall it's a pretty dress. I need to hem the sleeves (they are about 6 inches too long) and add the snaps. Then I'll post pictures. Making dresses is fun!
9:06p
Pro Shop Plug
Just wanted to post a little plug about www.jenskates.com

I ordered my maxiflex from them, and my new bunga pads. While I HATE the actual pads, I have to say that the customer service at Jen Skates is fantastic. I sent them an email, just with my complaints about the pads- saying I understood they were non returnable, and within an hour I had recieved a reply and an apology and store credit. Their shipping is also lightening fast, and prices are cheaper then most online.

So if you are looking for a pro shop to buy odds and ends- give them a look.


(Also- on the maxi-flex. It's a pretty good stretcher, and I use it often. I haven't noticed a huge difference though because it doesn't strength train. However, as a little extra, if you just need the motivation to stretch, I'd recommend it. Stretching biellmans on it hurts my standing knee though...)

No comments: