Thursday, July 21, 2011

Friday, October 10th, 2008


Time Event
2:06p

Thursday Lesson

I had a 30 minute (well 25, my coach was running late, but had a student at 6:00- I'm paying her for 30, since it hasn't happened before... she under charges anyway, but since I can't afford anymore, I'm glad) lesson and about 20 minutes of practice yesterday.

So for the past few weeks I've always had a "why my skating is going to be bad today" excuse. (For example- last week, half of my face was numb from the dentist, and my eyelids were drooping. A few weeks before the test I was on muscle relaxants and loopy) This week- my eyes were dilated and I was having trouble focusing- it wasn't too bright, though the reflection off the ice didn't help.

But the lesson went really well. We did freestyle last week, so we did moves this week. I wasn't hoping to focus on them, but I asked her to spend a few seconds on back cross rolls, since this summer I couldn't put my foot down, and this week on Tuesday I kind of figured it out, but didn't want to be practicing it wrong.

So we started with forward crossrolls. They weren't too bad, and improved a ton in just the 5-10 minutes we spent on them. They need so much more knee bend then I have. What I should really do is TRUST the ankle bend, because I can get good ankle bend, I just won't let myself, because I worry I'll fall. We talked a lot about throwing my hips toward the wall, and I can do it well on one side, and not too well on the other. She also talked to me about pidgeon-toeing my foot when I push it over, and how everytime my foot touches or leaves the ice the push can't be wasted.

Then we moved onto back crossrolls. We spent a lot of time on these, actually, and it wasn't nearly as frustrating as it had been this summer- I made great progress. I was doing too much "toe-blade down", and while Courtney conceded later in the lesson- that that is indeed how the motion goes, she thought that me focusing on it, was a bit scary as I had too much toe in! So I can't think that anymore. Courtney is having me put my foot down towards the side of my body, and then pull it across the back- what's funny is that when I did that overexaggeration, I wasn't able to do IT properly and actually did the correct cross roll. I also really need to think about not bending my back leg, but really really sitting on my front leg. I go at a snails pace, but can go faster holding on (which pissed her off- she wants me pushing the whole time. I however think it's perfectly reasonable to speed up when fear of falling is taken away) so there is some sense that maybe I'll get better at these.

Then we worked on progressive-style forward crossovers to help me get the most out of each push. Andy really wants this style crossover as well. I can do them okay on the circle, but when I stroke around the rink, it's nearly impossible to not pick my foot up to cross on the ends. I don't know what the difference is. I also need to really focus on picking up my hip and leaning into the circle, as I drop my hip AND lean away from the circle. It's a wonder I can stay on the edges.

Last we did a couple power circles. First off, Courtney showed me exactly how she wanted them- standing in the center and watching someone skate around you is the most dizzying thing I have come across in skating. Laybacks have nothing on this! And then, when I do power crossovers, my knees completely seize up and I skate on peg legs. Need to fix that!

No comments: