Thursday, July 21, 2011

Saturday, September 6th, 2008


Time Event
7:27p
Not a great saturday.
Today's skating wasn't very good. I didn't skate particularly well, nor particularly badly, but mostly I just didn't have fun.

I got there in time to have my skates on and ready to go for the 8:00 session. (Which some people get to at 7:00, but it makes me nervous to skate when the rink isn't officially open- I wonder how the liability works there.) Anyhow- the ice SUCKED. It was brittle, and already pretty torn up from the 6 people who had been there for quite some time. I did a few laps stroking, and tried to start my moves, but I just wasn't into it. There was a couple dancing, which is always really difficult for me to dodge, and someone else on the harness- which takes out a quarter of the patterns, so it just wasn't working.

So I tried to spin, and those stank. My throat hurt and I was having a hard time breathing, so after 30 minutes I decided to call it quits and go to starbucks. At that time, Courtenay got there, so I figured I should get my skates back on and at least try to skate some more. I stroked around the rink a few times with her (she's hard to keep up with- especially if I''m on the outside) and then we fooled around with some footwork.

THEN I went and got my starbucks, hoping that the heat would help get the gunk out of my throat. I taught for the first time holding a drink in my hand :) (Also- I finally figured out why starbucks steamed milk tastes better than made at home steamed milk. They use whole milk! Calories are yummy.) The beginning adult class did well, with everyone away from the wall now!

Then I did low freestyle. Carson was subbing for this class, so I took from him two weeks in a row. He always seems very nervous, and like he doesn't quite know how to explain things (which makes sense, since he isn't a coach, and a very new instructor- albiet a very accomplished skater) but the way he says things makes sense to me, and he's giving me some of the same corrections I hear from all the other coaches- so he's picking up the right stuff! Anyhow, we worked on scratch spins- and just like in the salchow, I'm not holding the 3-turn long enough. Overall he was complimentary of the spin, and helped to show me how to hold that edge longer.

Then we did waltz jumps, and I got told my upper body is correct, and I'm using my arms right, now all I need to do is really bend my knee and JUMP! I laughed, because I have NO interest in that JUMP part :)

Last we did backspins and they weren't as good as last week, but I did cross a few. Once again, it's a lack of a secure entry edge I think.

Courtenay and I have a theory, based on Andy and Lisa, who are always in caps, that if we wore a baseball cap to practice we'd be better skaters- but then Carson demonstrated a gorgeous backspin, and he didn't have a baseball cap on, so we are back to the drawing board- it probably has something to do with years and years of hard work and dedication, but it sure would be nice if it was just a magic hat!

No comments: