Thursday, July 21, 2011

Sharpies on Blades: Monday, June 2nd, 2008


Time Event
6:16p
Saturday Skate

Just a few notes:

1) I'm loving the colored blades. This week they were green with pink on the plate and the edges (because I was lazy and only recolored the sides). While the pink from 2 weeks ago is going strong, the green wiped off with the ice. Weird. But EVERYONE noticed them. (Of course, the whole rink might think I'm wacko by now).

2) I skated for the entire hour during freestyle. Usually between boot problems and knee problems I only make 30 minutes. Quite pleased.

3) Sandy did a lesson as Courtney was absent. We worked a lot on crossovers and I found out I'm stepping onto the wrong edge on my backcrossovers. I've been working so hard on the underpush I had no idea. This needs to be fixed!

7:41p
Colored blades
The thinking about getting paramounts made me really want colored blades. But I decided I don't want paramounts- and I also don't think I could ever just pick one color. Casey on skatingforums once said he colored his blades with sharpies- I thought he was crazy, these things are expensive! Since my blades are shot, I thought I'd give it a try. I have new ones coming if it was a bad idea.

Well, I think it was a fine idea. I originally colored them all the fuschia color, but removed it to switch to green. The fushia stayed on (for two weeks now), but the green came off when I cleaned them, so I redid them. It removes easily with nail polish remover. Next week I think I'm going with polka dots! If you decide to try it- test a patch on your blade plate first! I don't know if blades are coated differently and would hate to cause a ruined blade for you! I stay away from the non-coated steel that gets sharpened, but I don't know if that matters.

Also, mind your boots. I got a bit on them, and it did come off, but I can't imagine nail polish remover is good for the leather!
Green bladesGreen blades

My skates with green blades.
green bladesgreen blades

I kept the sole plate fushia- because I really liked it that way. The blades looked great that color, but they were TOO dark, I think- attracted way too much attention. Lots of people notice the green ones, but I feel like they are a bit more subtle.

No comments: