Thursday, July 21, 2011

Sunday, October 12th, 2008


Time Event
12:07p
Oh, Under Armour
For Christmas I am asking pretty much anyone who offers to buy me a gift for Under Armour coldgear leggings. My Target leggings are not warm enough for the winter, and no way will I shell out $50 for a pair of pants that will be attacked by my toepicks the second I fall. I went to scheels today to try them on- they are HEAVEN. They are so warm, and so soft. And they look good on my legs, well as far as skin tight leggings can, they look better then the cheap ones. Oddly enough, the small and medium fit the exact same, but the medium were longer. I think I'll go with the longer so I can pull them over my laces.

Problem is- the rink is cold NOW and Christmas is months away. But like I said, I'm not paying for them! However, once I get them, I'm thinking I'm going to need the Heatgear ones for the summer, because man are these way better then my target leggings (perhaps 10x better- the price difference). I totally see how once you have one luxury, you need another. Because the cheapo ones are fine for the summer, and already I want to upgrade :)
12:21p
Saturday skating (and the rest of thursday)
So I never posted about the rest of Thursday. After my lesson I stayed and skated for about 25 minutes. I ONLY jumped during that time. Well, "jumped". I want everyone out there to pause, and think that when I say I want my jumps bigger and faster, it is bigger and faster in comparision to my current jumps, which I'm sure a snail could beat me at, not in comparision to what skating should look like. Take away any illusion you have that I leave the ice, or that I'm whizzing halfway across the rink into a set up. I'm talking 3 crossovers, and an inch or two away from the ice.

Okay, now that that is settled- I'm jumping. This is a huge deal. I haven't jumped outside of group class for over 3 months. The motivation to get these jumps was the pairs skating thing, but I don't think that is going to happen anymore (at least he hasn't said anything further from "oh, I'd really like to do it, let me check my schedule") but I still want to be able to jump!

So Thursday, I jumped for 25 minutes. And all the jumps got faster and bigger. And I only chickened out of maybe 1/10 of them. But I still didn't fall. I think I need to fall. I'm scared of falling, and I think falling a few times would help, but I can't MAKE myself fall...


So Saturday-
Saturday started with moves warm up. Um, these are awful. Power pulls slow down as they go across the rink, EASY PEASY spirals look like crap on the left foot down side (pretty nice on the right foot down side), 8 step mohawk is tenative and slow, cross rolls are way better then they were last week, but still pretty bad, and 3 turns are slow and I didn't manage to do a single BI one on either side. Still, everything is improving. I'm so proud of getting my foot down on the back cross rolls. I managed to do an entire lap of the rink (more then I need to) without having to stop and get resituated. But still, I require 4-5 times more crossrolls to get down the side then I'm allotted- they are teeny tiny and slow. But I'm doing them! I'm really disappointed with the 3-turn pattern. On my FI 3s I'm turning at the top of the lobe, but the FO 3s are off centered. The BO 3s are good on one side, but lack power on the other. I can't make it back to the axis. Like I said I didn't manage a single BI.

Then I did some turning. Not much luck with the camel, though I got a few with 3 revolutions. It was a bad backspin day, but now a bad day is a few revolutions uncrossed, rather than just not spinning. I crossed a few and got 3+ revolutions, but I can't exit it. I tried an attitude spin and it feels better then it looks on tape- which is BAD. It didn't even make it to youtube. I did some sit spins which felt good, but upon video review (on youtube) have no sit at all. I think it's the second one that at least looks like I'm sitting, but the others what I thought was deep kneebend is barely visible.

Then I jumped. Not as well as Thursday, sadly, but jumped. My salchows weren't working. I think I was swinging too much, but I was chickening out on them, or else just not getting off the ice when I attempted to jump. My waltz jumps were better when I went back to them, and a few were "big" but not much. My toe loop, I'm not picking behind me, and that's causing big problems. I was happy with my half lutz, though Courtenay pointed out I was jumping up and coming down on exactly the same spot. I've never really tried to do that differently though. Half jumps are stupid- but at least that one leaves the ice.

No comments: