Thursday, July 21, 2011

Friday, September 26th, 2008


Time Event
9:54a
A week of skating
I figured I should post my week in review today, because tomorrow I will either have great news to share, or be in a really bad mood and not want to talk about it :)
So here goes:

Tuesday:
The adults I am teaching are doing really well. One is really struggling on the half swizzle pumps forward and on backward glides, and I'm not sure what to tell her other than keep trying. But she's making great progress. We did the pre-pre edge pattern (kind of) as a "challenge" and they both did really well. I'm just really happy that the "get" the idea of edges.

My class was all on moves. One of the young girls is testing Saturday, and so am I, and the other adult isn't interested in doing tests, but for today we did moves instead of freestyle. Andy gave me some good advice on the forward crossover pattern- to aim for the corner instead of the boards on the last inside edge that way the crossovers don't get stuck going around the end. It really makes a huge difference. He also wasn't incredibly please with my lack of underpush on the power 3s. Apparently I put my weight over really well for the first step, shift it slightly for the next step, and then on the last back inside edge instead of keeping the weight there, I move it back to the other side. It really needs to stay over so that I'm on a true inside edge. With him pulling my arms I was able to do the edge, but then I couldn't set my foot down to step into the 3-turn! He had me work on alternating 3 turns to work on opening my hip and shoulders, and man that made me glad those aren't on the adult moves tests!

I added an extra lesson with Courtney this week, after a bad practice last Saturday. Other than a ton of dodging (man were kids annoying- I can handle public skate kids, they don't know they are being annoying. But I have zero patience for the figure skaters who just won't stay out of peoples way on patterns and programs. I stay out of their way when I'm just practicing- they should do the same. ) it was a really good practice. We ran all the entrances and exits, and then we ran the patterns. Courtney told me it's one of the best she's seen for the test and that she's never seen me push so well. YAY me!

Of course, the next day my knees were KILLING me. They did NOT appreciate the good practice. But it was a good practice.

Wednesday:
Synchro. First bad news: We're a really small team this year. We recruited someone new, and then 3 possibles- one who actually came and skated with us once and decided to ice dance, and 2 who just decided they were too busy. The new recruit, who said he really liked it, well turns out he can't do it. A local club (which I'm a member of) has decided to have their spring competition on the date of ISI synchro nationals- so he has to coach then (and possibly ANOTHER team member would also have to coach, but that's not definite) and then he can't do Christmas show either because that's USFS Junior Nationals and it's highly likely he'll have to coach a team there. And that's a really really good excuse not to do a show. (I think local competition isn't the best excuse, but it's his job, so I guess it is...)

But good news: I get to do our move in isolation. Since he was our feature spinner, the girl who is REALLY good is taking his spin, and I'm taking her spin. And the entrance that our coach is having me do makes it WAY easier to center than a wind up. (It's a FI 3-turn and then step into the spin). Synchro has been really frustrating for me, because I'm not very good at it, so getting to do this makes me feel really good about myself. Of course the hardest part is that now I'm not in the pinwheel when it gets moving, and have to catch on while it's already up to speed. The catching is difficult, but the most difficult thing is not being flung to the ice because they move FAST.

We also learned our block footwork and I really like it. There is a toe hop that's very difficult, but a bunny hop that is much easier than I expected. I have a hard time doing them on my own, but in formation, even just holding onto one person, it was really secure. We also get to do arms and I love em.

Thursday:
I had my normal lesson last night. One of Courtney's coworkers wanted to come watch, and she was there to "make me nervous" so that I could simulate testing. Problem is, she was so impressed it didn't make me nervous at all :) She has never ever been ice skating and only seen it on TV, so she was so amazed that adults started skating, and now wants to do lessons. She was asking me if it was difficult (often when I was completely out of breathe) and saying that I make it look so easy, but it's probably not- right? It was kind of fun. She also "critiqued" me and while Courtney yelled "PUSH" she'd say "SMILE!"- which was useful, because then I'd start trying to always be smiling so I wouldn't be able to be corrected. So it was useful to have a watcher.

The practice itself went alright. Once again there were only maybe 8 other people on the ice, and only ever on the left side of the rink, but MAN did they get in the way. I'd have an awesome first side of the pattern, and then pretty much have to stop because it was like they were TRYING to get in my way. And only ONE of them was a public skater. All the rest had lessons sometimes in the past or next hour (though only one was on lesson at the time). I was so annoyed at that. But failed dodging aside, I mostly did well. I'm exhausted at the end of the test though. I really have to be perfect because I'm never going to make it through a reskate!


So here's a question: How many times do you have to yield to someone on program? If someone plays their program 8 times in a half hour, do I really have to get out of their way everytime if I'm in a lesson and they aren't? This isn't club ice, it's a public session, so technically there are no rules at all, but because these kids drive me crazy getting in my way, I try to stay out of theirs.

My test is tomorrow. Skating-wise I'm feeling great. Nerve wise, I'm okay right now. I just really want to pass. I'm so tired of these moves!!!

No comments: