Thursday, July 21, 2011

Monday, March 17th, 2008


Time Event
5:04p
Thumbs up Monday freestyle.
I have never skated Mondays before but heard there was a sparsely populated Monday freestyle from 4:15-5:15, I thought I'd give it a try.

I got there from work at 3:45 and hung out until the public skate ended and the zamboni cleared the ice (fresh ice- bonus!). Then another girl and I took the ice for a warm up, but she had skated the public session too, so she was only on the ice for a couple minutes at all. I had the ice all to myself for at least 10 minutes!

I ran through my bronze moves and they are okay, for not having worked on them since before christmas. I definetly have a weak side on the back crossovers to outside edges, but the alternating back and forward crossovers were both nice (I thought). My mohawk pattern is no longer the weakest, it's getting into the okay range. The three turns are the weakest. My left foot I'm so scared to turn that I actually abandoned the pattern before the first turn! I did the other side twice, and the turns are okay, but I go so fast that the step from the back crossover into the next 3 turn is scary and scratchy. At the very end of my practice session I did the bad side, and well, lets just say I got through it! All the moves were scratchier than they should be.

Then I tried a few spins and it was HORRIBLE.

Now another 2 skaters were on the ice, but so few I decided to try figures, just to see if I could! I picked a teeny hole into the ice and skated outside figure 8s- I was able to come back to the center each time, but my circles- not so circular, and one was 9 steps across and the other only 7. EEK! I did 4 tracings on each of the 2 sides of the 8, and they almost overlapped, really close most of the time, but certainly not as if it had only been done once. The inside ones were, suprisingly, a little better- but maybe because I had the outside lines to go over. I've never had a figure lesson before though, so who knows what I was doing!

Then I ran through my program twice without music.

Then I did a few more spins. I hit 3 or 4 "nice" backspins. No scratching 5+ revolutions. Still no exit.
Absolutely NO scratch spins today. Miserable, scratchy, ugly. YUCK.
One combo spin out of 5 was what I consider okay (meaning I did all 9 revolutions) but it was so scratchy!

I only skated 45 minutes total of the hour. The punch outs on the boots REALLY help, but I still have one spot on my right foot that is giving me trouble. It's not in a spot I asked her to punch though, so if I send it back, I think i'll have to pay again. I guess I never realized it bothered me in my skates, because my toes hurt so badly, but it is usually sore, so I should have thought about it.

Definetly a session I'm going to skate again!

No comments: