Thursday, July 21, 2011

New Blades: Monday, July 28th, 2008


Time Event
7:22p
First Day on the New Blades
Well, I only got 15 minutes in. I was super dizzy and my feet were hurting. Dizzy isn't good for skating, so I made it quick and went home.

Good news- I can skate well enough that I can teach tots tomorrow.

Bad news- the mohawks are missing

I didn't try any spins or jumps except a 2 foot spin- and that was smooth with no toepicks in, although not very fast or many revolutions, but I wasn't trying.

I did mainly just forward stroking. Every stroke seemed to take a TON of effort. It was so hard to get a good rhythm or a good glide. But I remember the gold seals being like that too. I don't know how long it will take to get rid of that. And while it's nice to have a rocker again, I guess these blades are technically a downgrade.

On the subject of the rocker, I think these blades are flatter than the Mirages were, even though they are both 8'. When I lean forward to try and find that spot it feels like I immediatly go to the toepick.

I tried a circle of each crossovers. They were labored and beginner-like, but I could get them okay. I did all my 3-turns and they were all there still, the balance is different though and my body was breaking weird because of it. Like I said, the mohawks are gone.

Alternating forward edges were easy to do (didn't try back ones). It doesn't take effort to get to the inside or outside edge. I was able to glide straight without a problem, but I did notice when I looked at my feet it LOOKED like I should have been on an inside edge when I was flat. Very weird. One blade also overhangs the side of the skate, which hopefully won't affect lunges. I'm going to ask a coach to look at them tomorrow to check the alignment. Since there is a "getting used to them" period anyway, I don't know if problems are alignment or just new blades normal.

Hopefully the adjustment period isn't too long. I'm signing up to test at the end of September (which is either due next week or in a month, not sure) either way, and will just scratch if I'm totally not ready.

I hope I'm ready to practice moves by Saturday, because I have a lesson and am not canceling after just having missed 2 for vacation.

No comments: