Thursday, July 21, 2011

Thursday, October 30th, 2008


Time Event
7:32p
Hockey wins...
I meant so many times to post about last weeks skating- oops.

Anyhow today was my first experience with hockey getting preferential treatment at the rink. Well, not really preferential, but at least screwing my schedule up.

For quite a few months now, the rink manager has made sure everyone knew that the schedule will be changing November 1st- youth hockey begins, Ice Hawks really picks up steam, Adult leagues start. It's winter- of course there will be lots of hockey. During the summer he talked with synchro about either paying what hockey pays (and it sounded like if we paid equal, we would get the ice- pretty impressive, really- but we don't even pay close to that right now) or moving to 9:00 ice time. We knew that starting November, until I think March, we are 9:00-10:00 (yawn!).

BUT today my old coach emails out the new schedule this week through middle of December, and TODAY the public session was cut short by an hour. Of course my lesson is normally in the last hour of this session! Thankfully, I was able to call my coach and get the lesson rescheduled, but I was super annoyed because the rink did nothing to notify people of this. I was there Tuesday and yesterday and no schedule changes were posted. The internet schedule wasn't changed. Thank goodness Burton still emails me (as annoying as the contestant reminders of ISI competitions and Des Moines ice time are it really paid off this time).

Lessons focused on 3 Silver MITF patterns: Spirals, cross rolls, and power pulls.
Everything is promising, nothing is good. Left leg spirals are just awful- I'm so insecure on the leg. The forward power pulls were actually better then the back ones, and this is the first time I've gotten help from a coach on these. I'm not losing speed on my right side anymore (still on the left) but I'm not gaining speed yet either. Going backwards I "dance" too much, but Courtney really talked about how to use the lower body to do the edge pull, and I think I understand. Man, they kill my knees though. Cross rolls is just an issue of hip flexibility on my left side and edge security. They are improving though, I think.


Synchro last night was a lot of fun. Courtenay and I are making progress on the costumes and I still have hope they will be done by the Christmas show. I was the end of the straightline pinwheel last night- and when we were just pumping it, and not traveling it, it was SO much fun. I love love being on the end of non-traveling pinwheels. Traveling ones not quite as much, though it hurts my wrist less then being in the center!!! (It's just so hard to stay in a straight line, even when it's a short 3-spoke line). We worked a lot on our waltz jump- bracket-three move, and doing that so many times in a row kills my achilles tendon. I wish I had never worn those Bunga pads and that problem would have never come up.


I wore my new GK Elite dress to the rink. Courtney said she really likes it, and I love it. I need to shorten the straps about an inch though. Oddly the medium seems to fit larger then the large does. I guess it's all about the material used. The 2nd dress I added isn't as pretty as it was online, but for $12 I'm happy with it. The one I wore today was the $16 one. I'm SO glad I bought it. The GK elite tights aren't great- they are a bit shiny, kind of thin, and the waist band rolls, but for $4 they'll do.

No comments: