Saturday, June 18, 2011

March 14, 2007

3:56p
Program has been learned
Last night was a complete disaster. I need to write the following on my skates "DO NOT TAKE AN EARLY LESSON"
I need at least an hour to be warmed up for a lesson, as such- the second time I've done the first lesson on the session was just as a disaster as the first.

Since the show is quickly approaching we began choreographing my program. The music I picked, 'Gotta Get A Gimmick" from Gypsy somehow turned into "Stuff Like that There". I really love this song, but for the most part- MAN is it fast. Eek.

So I get shown the program, and overall its fine. The music allows for me to be cutesy- which is one of the things I do best. But there are a lot of mohawks, which is not one of the things I do best. I learned the entire routine in 30 minutes, and except for about a ten second section that has some sort of footwork to go into a waltz jump combination, I remember what goes where and when. The problem will be doing it.

The routine has only a few "tricks" a one-footed spin (probably two), a salchow, a half flip, and a waltz jump-side toe hop- waltz jump-ballet jump combo. Actually there are quite a few ballet jumps. They are much more natural than when I first learned them, thankfully. I also have a lunge, which I really need work with, and a forward spiral. I think there is enough time that I will also add a backward spiral. My spirals aren't horrible.

Anyhow, I'm very concerned because while I understand I can skate at half time to the fast music its a) boring and b) on simple things like alternating backwards crossovers I pick up a ton of speed. Meaning going into the half flip scares the heck out of me. I don't like to leave the ice at anything more than just above a standstill, unless it is a waltz jump.

I did have a bit of a nervous breakdown during the lesson. I actually cried on the ice- which was just ridiculous. I'm an adult, it should not have happened. (No one else on the ice noticed, except my coach telling me that I needed to trust that he designed a program I could do. And it wasn't excessive, its not like I was bawling, but it should not have happened.) I'll perform because its a show, and I don't know a single person in Des Moines, so even if I'm terrible the world will not end, but I really don't feel like I have enough time to make this routine good.

I also don't have any sort of costume that matches the music, but won't be buying one right now. So a nice black skating dress it is. Maybe I'll throw on some fishnets. The music really calls for some fringe though :)

No comments: