Saturday, June 18, 2011

April 30, 2007

4:45p
Magic On Ice
The capital ice academy show "Magic On Ice" was Saturday. I performed a 2 minute routine to "stuff like that there" It had 2 one-foot spins, a salchow, a half flip, a waltz jump-side toe hop-waltz jump-ballet jump combination, and a half-flip to toe-loop-toe-loop combination, in it. Relatively easy stuff with a forward spiral, backwards spiral, and lunge and some really basic footwork thrown in. Nothing to write home about, but my first routine.

I'm glad I did a show before a competition- pretty much no nerves. I knew no one there, no one was judging me, no one was hoping I'd fall so they would have the pressure off them, just a chance to skate with the ice to myself. And I met a lot of great girls who are in my club.

It was lots of fun, I miss dancing- and this was a good chance to perform. Afterwards I had quite a few compliments about how great my smile is when I skate. I guess I have that over the kids- I've learned to keep smiling regardless! (Although when I almost fell, I probably stopped for a second). I don't know if I looked down as much as I do in practice (never did that in dance, but the floor wasn't as slippery :) ) but the video will tell.

My skating, well nothing to write home about, but nothing to be embarrassed about either. The way I told my mom "Do you remember my first dance recital at Barbara Lynns (the studio I went to when I was 7)- it was about like that" To which she replied "Oh, gosh, that bad?" But no, not really that bad- it's my very first time skating in front of people, I have a very basic routine, and a very basic mastery of the things in it. I mostly remembered everything I was supposed to do, I mostly did it all. I know my spins weren't good and my jumps weren't high. I almost fell on my forward spiral, and stumbled a bit instead. I got ahead of my music at two places, but dealt with it. But I don't think I embarrased myself- I've only been skating for a year.

Of course, when the video comes, I might change my mind :)
But I'll be sure to post it for you all, if you promise not to laugh.

No comments: