Saturday, June 18, 2011

December 18, 2006- First Freestyle!

Freestyle 1, here I come
I somehow managed to forget to post about my last lesson.

First off, I passed Basic 7! Then, instead of fun and games, she decided to give us the Basic 8 test. I pretty much though that since I can't do 3-turns at good speed, I wouldn't pass, but apparently the "basic" standard is just from one crossover, and like my mohawk combination- I just do that crossover really slowly, holding each edge- and was able to do them.

During the test we did 3 elements, then a waltz jump. I forgot my nylons and was skating in thin trouser socks. My feet started tingling quickly, and by the waltz jump, I couldn't even feel my right foot. I asked her to watch mine really quickly (cutting in line to be tested) so that I could relace. I was kind of distracted, so she asked me to do it again without looking down, I did, scurried off the ice as fast as my no-feeling foot would let me, and took off the boot and sock and massaged my feet. I skated the rest of the session with the right foot barefoot. It wasn't too bad. I have one spot on my big toe that rubs, but I might give barefoot a try. Definetly makes a tiny bit more room in there.

My mazurka actually got a compliment and I finally nailed a spin with the instructor watching. I always do them really well until she turns to watch me.

So the news is- I passed Basic 8 also! I'm now in Freestyle 1- but of course, I'll be starting group lessons in January.

I have to join the Capital Ice Academy to work with the coach I selected, so I joined ISI, although I haven't gotten my member number back.

I am anxious about private lessons as well as about teaching tots- but I can't believe I've already completed the basic skills course. I'm a dork too, because I'm going to buy the badges for the levels I passed. Badges are fun.

No comments: