Saturday, June 18, 2011

January 31, 2007

4:46p
Tuesday skating
Well, starting private lessons has done wonders for my skating- but has really caused the journal to start lacking! I never remember to post.

Yesterday was a marathon ice day. I got to the rink at 5:00 for learn to skate and left at 9:00. Now for the ice princesses out there, a four hour day is nothing, but for me- who used to do 30 minute days, it's a lot!

The two snowplow sam classes went well. We are at 3 weeks in, meaning that the kids who are going to progress quickly are now zooming along, and those who are going to be a bit slower are still tottering. Many of the kids have switched from rentals to their own new skates- and the boys have all started donning hockey skates (urgh! These poor kids can't control hockey skates yet!) We've moved from SS 1 to SS 2, even though their test will just cover SS 1. It would be boring for them to stay at that level- BUT the kids who are still barely marching, are really really not getting swizzles- you know? But some of them are trying- and others insist that "they can skate and don't need to hold their hands up or pick up their feet" I wonder how kids get the idea that shuffling their feet is skating? I understand the ones who want you to pull them so they can just glide.

The adult 1 class I am teaching is also going well. The second woman from last week was not here, just the orignal woman. We started 2 foot turns standing still, then tried them on the wall. Since we introduced half swizzles on a circle this week, we also tried the turns on the circle. She's really progressing well.

Then came my practice. Why is it that backspins put me out of whack? I get so dizzy. i'm turning the same way- it doesn't make sense. I'm also practicing a headless 2 footed spin, so I can get used to the inner ear issues of that sort of spin. I want a layback eventually. First I'll have to get a scratch spin- which does not work from XOs- mostly because I have no choctaw to speak of. But it's okay from a T position- although I've regressed on crossing my leg over. From a hockey glide I have an excellent beginner 1 foot spin.

My jumps are doing okay. The salchow just does not exist. I don't understand how to jump. I get confused on the half flip and the toeloop because I never remember which foot picks for which jump. I need to learn my right and left sides better. But when i do them, they both go well. Side toe hops and ballet jumps are getting to be really good connecting steps. I'm excited about that.

My 3 turns are doing good. I have 3 good ones going forward, and one terrible one. I can do 2 of them from quick moving, 3 of them from slow moving, and only 1 still needs to go from a T position. AND I did a great RBO 3-turn! and a passable LBO!

The lesson went well. We spent half of it skating however to music- so it was kind of a throwaway 15 minutes, but I see why it was necessary. I love skating to music! I had never really done it before. Anyhow- we decided on the little swans variation for my freeskate routine and magic carpet ride for my exhibition routine. Guess I need to work on cutting MCR again. I'm going to make it 1:30 instead of 1:00. I think I can skate that long, and it will be a much easier cut.

Then we ran through some jumps. B. told me my toe loop is not a toe waltz- so that made me very happy. My half flip is alright. He wants me to cross my legs in all my jumps, including waltz, so that's something to work on.

Then we did edges. I caught my toepick once on the fwd edges- and brought up a huge chunk of ice- oops. B. told me that 4 of those fail the TEST. So I need to stop that NOW. Backward edges were an absolute mess- they make me want to cry. It's horriible I cannot make my legs, arms, and head all go the right way. Plus the edges are wobbly and weak.

After my lesson the ice was completely empty. Another coach came out to practice so for 20 minutes it was just me and her. I worked on 2 circles and did fwd and bwd crossovers as fast as I could in a figure 8. On my weak side I really had to glide coming out of my strong side, because i couldn't even pick my foot up going that fast. It was a real eye opener. But on my strong side I can generate a good amount of power- and I think my backwards is getting better than my forwards. That's just crazy.

Then I worked on spirals, mostly backwards- because there was no one to hit- and just skating and gliding over the ice- because it was all mine!


Oh- the new icon is in honor of national bronze medalist alissa czisny! I am so excited she finally placed at nationals. If this girl can get her jumps together she can kick the pants off of all the other ladies competitors out there today. (Bebe Liang too...) I loved the entire top 4- so anyone winning made me happy- I feel so bad Emily Hughes fell, it sucks to know EXACTLY what cost you the competition.

No comments: