Saturday, September 24, 2011

Thursday, March 26th, 2009

9:34a
Finally a lesson!
YAY- a good day of skating! And I had my first lesson this month :) My arm
is still hurting, but not nearly as much as it has been.

Let's recap Tuesday first- my back spin is spinning mostly on a flat, and
occasionally on the outside edge, but too far back on the blade, so I'm
scraping a lot of snow. I'm trying to be on a true outside edge and further
up on the blade, getting circular, not straight line tracings. If I don't
cross my leg, I'm more apt to do it right. Now I need to put the speed, the
cross, and the edge all together. Did a few good sit spins. Spread eagles
are not my thing!

Okay- Wednesday:

Started my Sound of Music program. Courtney originally had in it a
terrifyingly fast waltz-toe combo, but she thankfully took it out. So my
program starts with a loop jump, goes into some footwork, and then into a
sit spin. The combo will go after the sit spin now, just not sure where.
That's as far as we got- maybe 1/3 of the program and 2, almost 3- of 7
required elements (but also footwork, which is technically judged, though
you don't need a footwork pass, just connecting steps.) Doing it a few times
to the music, if I can actually do it, then it fits the music perfectly!

We played a small game of "hide the loop". I start with a 1-rotation pivot
and lead that into cross rolls, back outside 3 turn, push, then 3 turn into
loop. The loop is going about as slow as I can possibly go and still be
called skating. But we are hoping judges will see the entry footwork as
something interesting and ignore the speed into the loop. The footwork
begins perfectly with a music change, though that might not happen anymore
now that the combo is gone. (That would be a lot of crossovers...) But I
think even if it's earlier it still should fit, because my sit spin was
happening right at a music change, and it would fit nicely right before it
so that I end on the music change.

I think Courtney thought I was frustrated with it- because to music I was
very much marking things (except the footwork pass) to stay with the music,
and she was "don't worry- you have time, you'll get this" but I was actually
quite okay with it. Programs don't ever fit the music the first time. I'm
happy with it and think I will eventually be able to do it.



Then synchro. Our coach was not able to make the practice, so we self ran
it. And the most brilliant thing happened: the entire team showed up! It was
amazing to have everyone there. (Well except our coach, who is also skating
with us... but not surprisingly, she isn't so much the one that needs a ton
of work.) And our program run throughs were fantastic, and things went the
way they were supposed to. And we worked on pieces of the program and I
really think it helped. It was probably the best practice I can ever
remember for synchro, it wasn't frustrating, it didn't make me feel like a
hippopatamus on skates, we did our programs well, and we worked really hard-
an actual workout. It made me very happy, and much more secure that we won't
embarress ourselfs at the show next weekend.

No comments: