Saturday, September 24, 2011

Thursday, March 19th, 2009

2:29p
Skating in Phoenix
Skating in Phoenix:

My cousin Meg got married this past weekend, and I was thrilled when I
realized that she was getting married in the same city that my email-skating
friend, M, lives in. M and I arranged to get together to skate. She picked
the rink, Polar Ice Peoria, which isn't her home rink, and was apparently
"as far away from her as I could be" LOL. OOPS- thanks for driving all the
way down there to see me.

The session was an adult session on Friday, so very uncrowded. The first 15
minutes there was just one other person on the ice, by the end of the
session there were 5 others, two of whom I think were coaches. Polar Ice
Peoria has a lovely ice surface, much like the ice I skate on in Cedar
Rapids- olympic sized and well cared for.

Skating with M was fantastic. We started the session stroking- I have speed,
she has stamina... we need to put the two of us together- and then she
showed me her bronze moves, and I showed her my silver moves. I gave her a
few "tips" on the bronze moves of what to ask a coach about, and realized I
had already forgotten how to do power 3s. :) Silver moves actually went
okay. At least I don't think I embarassed myself. I need to get through
bronze free first.

Then we worked on spins, and while I couldn't center a spin to save my life
on Friday I was still able to spin fast and with a good number of
revolutions that I think I represented my spinning ability well. I also did
a few good backspins (M does her from two edges. Not just the edge to the
line I do... I need to work on that. I can't believe I've been working on
the backspin for 18+ months) and a few sit spins that weren't horrible. It
was not a good camel day, but I don't "have" a camel so that was okay.

We ran through all our jumps, and I may have actually done a 2 footed flip.
I think Courtney and I need to start working on that. I had been telling M
in emails about working to fix my toe-waltz into a toe loop, and she said
she had never been corrected, but was probably doing one. Well the first one
she showed me, she has a true toe loop, and the second one was a bit more of
a toe waltz, but not as egregious of a mistake as me. I'm so jealous. Fixing
that into a real toe loop has been horrible. But I think I'm almost there. I
toe loop about 30% of the time now.

After skating we went out for lunch and ate outside in the beautiful AZ
sunshine. When I came back to IA it was also fairly warm, which is nice. No
LTS lessons this week due to spring break, and then Wednesday was not a good
day. But more about that in the next post.

No comments: