Saturday, September 24, 2011

April 23, 2009

2:01p
Long update
Hmmm... let's work backwards.

First off- the rink gossip, man is it good this week. But I won't be
sharing. Sorry. Club annual meeting is this Sunday, I'll find out if i'm
on the board or not. It's a 12/13 chance I am, but we'll see. Have a girl
scout training on Saturday so I won't skate then.

Wednesday Synchro-
Not much to this practice as the season is over. We tried some new
transitions and some footwork stuff. I'm glad synchro is over. My shoulder
needs the break. Still not sure if I'll be coming back to the team next
year. There are lots of "cons", but I do like the thrill of actually getting
to skate fast, and I love skating team programs. A lot is going to depend on
if I have a job.

Wednesday Freestyle-
The ice was divine! Really smoove, quiet uncrowded. Had a pretty good
practice. Since the ice was nice I started with power pulls, and I can tell
I'm really bending my knee on the right side. The way I could tell this- I
pulled it, and it HURT! Oops. The forward ones are better than the back
ones now, which is a switch. Still scraping the toepick and dancing my upper
body going backwards. Did 3-turn patterns and they are getting more solid.
I'm actually able to turn at the top of the lobe. Ran through my program
once with no music and decided I'm not even going to try to make the June
test session. I don't have the money to lose, and don't know if I'll be able
to go out on a weekday (please let me have a job!), and I can't even do all
the elements without music, I'm going to be lost with it. My biggest issue
is my salchow- as the entry is just incredibly fast, my footwork, which has
a "wrong way" mohawk in it..., and ice coverage, which really suffers once
the music is on and I have a time limit! Worked on jumps and I'm toe
waltzing again, but hey- I worked on jumps. That has to count for
something! Had a 10 minute lesson with Courtney and did loops (she gave me
the okay to test if I wanted to- this was the last element) and landed on my
toe MOST of the time. I still clomp down occasionally, but it's getting to
where this is a real jump, and toe loops- which aren't looking too hot.
Afterwards my knee wasn't bothering me too much and the ice was fantastic,
so I did sit spins. I need to tape these, but they were feeling really good.

Tuesday- learn to skate
Didn't get to teach, so I came just for the group lesson. We started with
3s on a line, and thank god I'm an adult. Man are those things impossible.
Inside is easier than outside (or the other way around?) Then we did
spirals on edges on the line, and my left side in general, and inside edge
especially are just horrible. I feel like a hippopotamus imitating an
airplane. Needless to say- this did not make me feel like a good skater.
Then we moved to spins and Andy had me do sit spins, which hurt my knee, but
I tried my best to really get down. He complimented 2 of them, which has
never happened, but told me I really need to sit.

Saturday- Synchro Nationals
Skated both programs really well. Was a bit nervous before Thriller, but not
too much once I was on the ice. Skated really well, but clapped early in the
barn door pass through. GRRR I never clap early, it's never occured to me to
clap anytime other than on the beat, but we had stressed it so much before
skating that I screwed up. Video evidence shows that other people were all
over the place, and it wasn't really a huge problem :) 60s program went
well. I have no recollection of the early part of the program. I remember
catching Sheri in the 3-spoke pinwheel (thank goodness!), but not of
spinning before that (pictures show that I did!), I remember leaving the
3-spoke in an odd place, but not getting to, or doing the line at all. I
remember being yanked on right before spiral/lunge pass through (really want
to see video of that! Sheri doesn't remember catching a rut or it happening
really, and Courtenay doesn't think it was her- and I know it wasn't me! I
want to know what happened.) but can't recall anything from then to when we
started our block. I think I skated well though! I know I made faces during
the entire block, and can remember thinking I'm glad the video camera is
behind us. There is one picture of me pulling a giant smile, but I think
sometimes my faces can rival Benji Schwimmer in the cheesyness (SYTYCD
reference for those who don't get it.) We got 4/5, which I think is the
best we could have done. The 1st place teams did loops off of a pinwheel,
the 2nd did Y-spirals. The 3rd place team wasn't as good this year as last
year (you could tell a few skaters were new to it all), but even with all
their bobbles it would have taken more than a few falls for us to catch up.
The 5th place team had music troubles which threw them off, but based on
their practice, I think the placements would have been the same no matter
what. I don't mind not winning, but it might as well be an exhibition. I
wish the placement had more to do on how we skated on that particular day,
then how we skate at all. Maybe 1-2 could switch, maybe 4-5, but probably
not. The placements would be the same no matter what happened, I think.

Friday- Synchro Nationals
We had practice ice and did only program run throughs, with a lap in
between. 6 full out run throughs in 30 minutes is tough. I am NOT an
athlete. The ice was nice, better than ours, but a bit bumpy. I'm good with
that because we practice on pretty awful ice so it's an improvement for us,
but sometimes perfect ice can be a bit scary. The bonus is that Tim hasn't
been doing triples leaving holes everywhere. That's the downside to our home
ice :) We left practice knowing we were ready to skate great.

No comments: