Saturday, September 24, 2011

Thursday, April 2nd, 2009

8:12a
Lesson and Synchro
Hmmm, figuring out how to post from my email really seems to help me
remember to update :)

Last night we had an excellent synchro practice. I'm feeling much better
about the competition coming up. It should be a good battle for 3rd place,
seeing as how the top 2 teams are miles above the other 3 in the event
(assuming they are who I think they are. I know who the good two teams are.
They are USFS teams who use the ISI competition as an extra event, and
predominantly made up of lifelong skaters, not adult starts.) I really
don't care about the medal, but that drives me crazy. "Adult" is not a skill
level, it's an age group.

Dress rehearsal for the show was also last night. The synchro team chose not
to put our skates on to learn the finale. It's (pay careful attention, this
is complicated): skate to a line, bow. Follow Burton around the rink in a
circle, waving. Go back to the line, bow. Wooo. I'm not sure we'll be able
to handle that. (Do all skating shows end with waving? Coming from the
dance world, that's so weird.) The show is only 7 numbers (I thought 10,
but Brianna said 7.) and 2 of those are us. TINY. The rink had a benefit
show last weekend for one of the kids who is raising money to skate in the
Malaysian nationals (at a low level)- so I think everyone is show-ed out.
Still only 7 numbers is a bit crazy, that probably won't even be half an
hour.

My lesson was interesting and frustrating. We worked on very little parts of
the program. First the entry into the loop, then the entry into the salchow,
then the footwork. The entry into the loop is from back crossrolls, and I
really really have to bend. That went fine. The entry into the salchow is
just a backward one foot glide, but we spent a lot of time on the step
forward into the 3-turn from a glide that doesn't scrape. It's on my left
leg, which I'm not as comfortable on, and getting off the toe pick was much
harder than it should have been. We worked on the jump too, but mostly just
on that one foot glide. Silly, huh. Then I got annoyed at Courtney because
she was telling me I was doing my footwork starting with the wrong mohawk-
and I was NOT. She told me I got "confused" at the second mohawk, and that's
why I stumbled, but the second mohawk is the hard one, and I stumbled
because I can't do it! I stumble everytime I get to that part of the
program. I was NOT on the wrong foot. Then we did a whole heck of a lot of
mohawk-cross-mohawk things. On my bad side I need to concentrate on hitting
an edge and not a flat. That improved it a whole lot.

No comments: