Saturday, September 24, 2011

Monday, March 2nd, 2009

8:39a
The madness of February is done.
The ice show is OVER! I'm glad I stuck with it, it turned out to be really
quite fun.

I didn't get a DVD, so I can't really tell how I skated, but I think I did
alright. The first night I know that I was looking down too much in the
Dutch Waltz, because I remember that I was thinking about pointing my toes.
If you can see your boots- the eyes are in the wrong place :) The second
night, we went into the end pattern on a way deeper edge than I'm used to
and I skidded on the progressive to slow down going into the swing roll,
with Andy hissing "you're fine, you're fine" while we skated. I don't know
if we were going slow or they were going fast, but both nights the couple
behind us nearly ran us over. I think it was a combination of lobe width
(our deep lobes take longer to cover the ice than their shallow ones) and
speed- since the music wasn't a waltz, we might have been counting how long
to hold each thing differently from the other couple.

Under the sea went pretty well. I think I did okay, and so did everyone
else. The second night I got run into with an umbrella (jelly fish)- but it
wasn't my fault, so I'm okay with it :)

The rest of the show that I saw went well. There was some really good
skating, and some really entertaining numbers. It kind of makes me wonder if
I want to do the show next year, because well 1) drama and 2) I want to
watch it! I bet I'll end up doing it again, but maybe they will rethink the
combining low level skaters with high freestyle. (The high kids had
something like 8 numbers each for some of them!) It was also fun to get to
know the kids at the rink.

Not much else happened the rest of the week. On Tuesday we worked on spread
eagles. I could probably get an inside one to use as a quick transition move
(not a ice covering one), but outside is looking pretty much impossible.
Wednesday Courtney and I worked on the end pattern of the Dutch Waltz- and
she and I had to continually switch places because she couldn't figure out
how to "be the boy". Hmm, this is going to be a challenge when we get to
dances where that matters! Synchro went alright, though there are definetly
issues with Thriller. I didn't go to freestyle on Saturday because I was
tired from dress rehearsal on Friday.

No comments: