Saturday, September 24, 2011

Monday, February 23rd, 2009


Time Event
9:29a
Of pain in the ankles...
You know what is not a good thing to do right before the week where you have to spend 15 hours in skates? Lose your ankle pads! You'll recall I lost a pad a few months back- and ordered new ones and they were too thick and really screwed up my achilles tendon, so I compensated by cutting my leftover pad in half. Well one of those halves has now disappeared. We had a 4 hour rehearsal yesterday, so I taped my ankle. It mostly survived, I wasn't bleeding, but my ankle looks like I tried to slit it, with it rubbed raw and scabbing on both sides. Tuesday and Wednesday I'll try using blisterpads and then maybe cut the foot off a sock and wear that. I ordered new pads last night, so cross your fingers they will be here by friday (yeah right)- for dress rehearsal.

Saturday I skipped freestyle in the morning, knowing I would be heading to cedar rapids for club ice. I really like the ice in cedar rapids, though I'm still not very comfortable jumping up there. I did do some loops though- real ones where I landed on my toe pick :) But spinning- mmm I love spinning there. Scratch spins are FAST and centered. Backspins, I'm still too much of a weeny to really pull in and spin fast, but those seem to go well up there too. Moves are kind of a draw- I haven't tried 8 step mohawk up there, because (especially with show rehearsal, I suppose) it's tough to stay in one place, but I can actually do power pulls up there. My crossrolls go better in coralville (I get deeper in my knees for some reason), and 3-turns are about the same in both rinks, but maybe better in Cedar Rapids. I haven't done spirals in CR because I'm embarassed by my left spiral, and would prefer to save that for the "lesser" skating crowd (which is oddly enough in a fishbowl- so maybe I'd ought to rather have good skaters see my bad spiral than normal mall walkers?) I think it's good for me, for tests especially, to practice up there though, since that's the ice I'll test on. It used to be very foreign, but now it's more familiar. With show rehearsal ending, I think I may try to go up there once a month still.

Show rehearsal went fine. This was our last one, and it doesn't look great, but it doesn't look bad. One of the skaters has decided not to participate any longer so Andy is skating in his place. And since I'm next to him for half the program, man do I look great! Haha. Actually, it's mostly fine. I just do my best to keep myself and my upper body where it belongs and do whatever footwork I can. They had changed the circle footwork on Thursday (which the little girls, and me don't go to) so I was following Andy's feet to match it, and was wobblying through a particularly awful spin when I realized why- I don't spin that way :)

Sunday was a LONG rehearsal. Man if these were more organized they could take half the time. But I got to know some of the other skaters, which is a good thing- because knowing (and liking ) the people out on the ice is always a benefit. You're more likely to yield, watch out for, etc, people you like then people you either don't or just don't know, I think. The closing isn't anything fancy. We of course get to wave at the audience (is it an ice show without waving?).

I know I didn't post about LTS on Tuesday, but I don't really remember it except we did toe loops and loops again. I was sick on Wednesday so I didn't have my lesson or go to synchro. I'm getting nervous about synchro. The competition is getting pretty soon, and we haven't practiced yet this year (since christmas) with the entire team there. I called on Wednesday and basically said "I'm miserable, but if everyone shows up, I'll come" because we need it. But two other people were gone too.

No comments: