Saturday, September 24, 2011

Friday, January 23rd, 2009

4:46p
As easy as a crossover
I read an article today about Alissa Czisny (and YAY! I am staying up tomorrow night just to watch her skate... and I hate staying up.) and her very difficult Charlotte spiral, and the writer said she makes it look "as easy as a crossover"

Which kind of made me laugh. Cross overs are HARD. And skaters forget to keep working on them to move to other things. So even elite skaters sometimes don't make them look too easy (but man when they do- there are some skaters I'd be willing to watch do crossovers for a full length of a program- my current group coach is one of them. Good crossovers are gorgeous). Is a crossover really an easy skill? Skaters with all kinds of triples are often lambasted for lacking basic skating skills.

So what is easy? What can finish that sentence. Maybe for Alissa, who has good basic skating skills easy as a crossover makes sense, but I doubt she'd say it was easy to obtain those gorgeous crossovers. I bet the Charlotte came quicker!

No comments: