Monday, January 30, 2012

September 2010

-
-
2010-09-03 15:25:00
not like tap at all
Well, I've been putting it off, but I guess I should tell you how ballet went. It was a disaster. I had a lot of trepidation about this class. It is a Teen/Adult Ballet/Modern class and is only 60 minutes long. First off- 60 minutes? You can just barely do a full barre in 60 minutes, so that's not long enough for a ballet class, but they are throwing in modern too. Then with Teen/Adult, you just never know what you are going to get. Emailing with the studio owner she said it is "beg to beg/int" (which to me meant new beginner to continuing beginner, not actual intermeidate level- but who knows what she meant), and that there would be teens, but it was the girls who weren't serious enough about dance to talk multiple classes a week. Okay- I think I can do this- I mean a 60 minute ballet/modern class cannot possibly be that hard- a 30 minute ballet class is NOT a real ballet class, this will be beginner stuff. I was wrong. First, I think there was only one other adult there, maybe a college student. Then, there was one teen who was a raw beginner- didn't know first from fifth kind of beginner. Man I felt for her. The rest of the class- high school dance team. (I found this out after the class when one of the regular ballet students asked me if that was a team class...) I don't know if the instructor knew that the bulk of the girls were dance team dancers, or knew them specifically, but without taking stock of our levels at all she began barre, and a HARD barre. The combinations were long and involved. Since barre was just about 30 minutes, we really just did plie, tendu, and degage, and then a combination with rhonde jambe and developpe in it. But each one had other things thrown in, never just tendu- but tendus of varying speeds with coupe, passe, this and that thrown in. Oh man it was a disaster- I could barely remember the combination, much less complete it. The poor girl next to me (the raw beginner) did her best, but she was very very lost. Then we moved to center and did some modern. I guess that part was okay. We had to start with "do whatever you want" across the floor, and I hate that because I just feel ridiculous and don't have a modern vocabulary to know what to do in whatever I want, but otherwise I think I did fine. But the ballet- the ballet made me want to cry. (And it made my hip hurt). I'm just so disappointed. I'll give it one more week, but if it stays that hard, I'm going to have to be out of the class. Tomorrow I'm trying a drop in "raw beginner" class at another studio- but this one is further away from me and a friend strongly recommended against them... if that doesn't work, then I'll see if I can go in with like the 3rd graders at the current studio...
public

-
2010-09-04 21:01:00
Two Hands on the Barre
This morning I dropped in on a "Ballet Fundamentals" class at a different studio. This class is for absolute beginners, an intro to ballet. I actually had wanted to take class at this studio, but they only had one adult ballet class week (they've since added more...) and a friend strongly recommended against them. (She teaches at a rival program- but her program doesn't have parking. I need parking.) This class is still not exactly what I need- it's way too "easy". And by easy, I mean there is just no such thing in ballet. Once the teacher realizes you are past the basics, the corrections become so picky there is no winning. So I guess what I mean by easy is that it's just too slow. Still, it was classical ballet technique, and a difficult, but not frustrating class. I felt like I couldn't do anything right, again, but not because it was too hard for me, but because well- are you ever going to be perfect? The class was only an hour, but it was an incredibly exacting hour. Difficult in a much different way than Wednesdays class. Barre was very basic- we started with some stretches, then plies, tendus, degage, pas de bourre, and grand battment. The first challenge- all combinations except grand battment were done with both hands on the barre. I have never before faced the barre in a ballet class, and kept setting my hands in the wrong place, or not wrapping all 5 fingers. I probably got corrected 4 times on this alone. (The other most common correction- hold my stomach tight. That's a big stomach to be holding in!) She later said (when we turned to the side for grand battment, that the idea behind this is that it is difficult for a begginer to control their upper body when a shoulder is free- interesting.) Each exercise was VERY slow- possibly the slowest plies I've ever done, and for each 4 count we did only one tendu and degage. The 2 other girls in the class were just learning (it was their 3rd class) and the 4th was an advanced student who had foot surgery. Her tendus were beautiful, but she was in the class to work her feet very slowly and theraputicly. I liked this barre a lot, as it gave me a good chance to see the bad habits I have -for exampe, I was told in tendu that too much weight was on my working leg- and that this was something a beginner would do. The teacher told me that she knew I could do more and my foot should be light as air. I really appreciate after 4 years off that these teachers can tell I have the skills, but no longer have the facility to complete them. Then in center, we did tendu, port a bras, some small jumps, and a reverance. I love port a bra- I know I don't look it, but I feel so graceful, and well, arms are something I can do. (That was my skill in skating too. Screw the footwork, look at my upper body!) I am going to try their "adult" class on Monday (tap is canceled for the holiday) and if it is a good level may register there. I will keep doing the class at the first studio for this month, but a real ballet class is preferable to 30 minutes of ballet and modern each. Since they are closer to me, I might ask them if I can try a kids class. This new studio does have a class card, so I could just do drop ins. (They are further away, so if there is snow I worry about getting there) I have to say- when I was in Dayton, I was totally spoiled. PBS was just amazing.
public

-
2010-09-05 07:52:00
For Sale!
Great deals on some practice tests, or a beautiful tango dress! All my skatewear is for sale! Here are some pictures: http://pics.livejournal.com/skittl1321/gallery/0002435a Everything shown is $15, o.b.o. with the exception of the sixo dance dress which which is $80 (half price- I paid $160). All are in good condition. The two purple GK Elite dresses have never been worn on the ice. The sixo dress has been worn maybe twice for synchro comps. The XS GK Elite I bought used and is in slightly less than new condition, but still very good. If I were still skating, I would wear any of these without a doubt (well except the XS, it's too small!) The black w/sparkle dress is by Major Motion and is an Adult Medium. The green one longsleeve velvet is by Body Wrappers and is a Medium. The Dark Blue one is GK Elite and is XS. The Dark Purple is GK Elite and is a M. The Light Purple is GK Elite and is L. The Tank Top is by Balera and is a MA. The dance dress is a synchro dress that was cut too long- but it's perfect for a tango [image: Smiley] It's by Sixo and is a M.
public

-
2010-09-08 14:51:00
Two more classes...
... It's been a ballet crazy week (and a crazy at work week- the long weekend means huge amount to do!) On Monday the Iowa City studio (where I took the super beginner class) offered free classes for Labor Day, so I went and took the adult ballet class. I have no idea what their actual adult ballet classes will be like, because this class was me, the pre-pro girl with an injury from the other class, and her friend who had never done ballet before. It was a different instructor, and I enjoyed his class. He did an excellent job of setting two combinations, one for me and the advanced girl, and one for the new girl. So the class was more challenging than the beginner class (fondu! I had forgotten about that...) but setting two combinations takes a lot of time, so we really didn't have much time at the barre either. I decided since adult classes are such an "unknown" I want to take classes with the kids again. So called the Coralville studio, they say no problem, drop in and see where you fit. I think I'll likely fit "Ballet 4", but wanted to try Ballet 3 first- because I'd rather be too low than so out of my element I have to leave the class. I emailed the studio, asked if it was okay if I registered for Ballet 3 if I wore a black leotard instead (the uniform is lavendar. No way my fat ass is wearing a lavendar leotard with pink tights...) they say no problem, so I try Ballet 3. The class was exactly what I was hoping for- a good, full barre. But it was too low level. They are starting frappe, but very slow, methodical. Fondu does not yet have extension, rond de jambe still slowly going from tendu, around, tendu to 1st, etc. We did do a bit of center and across the floor- waltz step. Nope, this one is too low. I asked the instructor and she said Ballet 4 is also very slow, but I don't want very fast- I need my hip to not start hurting, and I can't find myself in a class doing a lot of beats, and complicated barre combinations- I just don't have the brain for it again yet. So Ballet 4 is probably a good match. By email, the woman said I could drop in for Wed Ballet 4, but then looking at the schedule- the class is full. I can't register for it. There is only one other technique class during the week, and it starts at 4:00- meaning I would have to warp to class from work. They have a "concert ballet" class- but it's a rehearsal class, not a technique class, and they have a combined ballet 3/4 on Saturdays, but again it's likely too low. So I'm back to where I started. Tonight is the ballet/modern class. Maybe it will be better than last week, but with a good barre taking 45-60 minutes, how could a 60 minute class that also has to include modern ever be a good ballet class? I guess I need to decide if I want to just keep it (the studio is so much closer to my house) or register at the IC studio- but who knows what I end up with there... I want to go back to Dayton- I was so spoiled by the incredible instruction at PBS.
public

-
2010-09-10 15:24:00
The week of dancing continues.
My final dance class of the week was on Wednesday (3 days in a row and I feel great! I think the problem with skating was that the rink is cold- so my hip would never warm up. The other bonus- the chronic pain in my calves seems to have disappeared.) First- the schedule horror has been figured out. In October I'll be joining Ballet 4 at the studio near my home. On Tuesday I'll take "Concert Ballet" which I'm TOLD is a full ballet class (in an hour...) with 15 minutes of choreography at the end. This means I might end up performing... Then on Saturday I'll take Ballet 3/4 technique class. I'm on the waiting list for the Ballet 4 technique class, but it's 18 kids in the tiny studio, so I'm not too into that. The Ballet 3/4 class will probably be "easy" but as long as the teacher starts giving corrections once she is familar with me, then even an easy class can be very hard. Just because "I already know that" doesn't mean I can still do it! So anyhow, Wednesday was Adult Ballet/Modern. It was much smaller this week- maybe the difficulty of last week scared people away (including me, since I'm leaving the class.) The instructor says she is a ballerina at heart, but then she basically does a throwaway barre. It's certainly a good warm up for center, but it's not a barre. The class did get a few corrections this week, but no individual ones. We only did plies, tendu/degage, and then ronde de jambe/stretch. Then move to center. The best part of center- pirouettes. I'm blaming skating for this, but where the hell did my turns go? Excuse me- turning comes natural to me. I can't even turn turned in anymore (ballet turns are harder...) I did get praised for attempting to hold the releve after a single, but the turn was sloppy as hell. And my spotting to the left side (the harder way) is GONE. I have to reteach myself to spot, but for singles I have it for the right. I'm terrified if we ever do chaines... but we probably won't- this is the first turn in all the classes I've taken (5 now?). So then we move to modern. She starts us to warm up our feet by crossing the floor doing whatever we want. UGH! Tell me what to do, I can't do whatever, it's so not me. Then we do a variation of last weeks across the floor, including a sort of pirouette- we first kick our foot out so that we are in a lunge, then using our upper body to "wind up" we bring the lunged foot backward to the bent leg, which straightens into a sort of angled to the floor turn. It sure looked cool when the instructor did it... We also did the weird handstand jump again (kind of like an illusion turn, but more of a hop...) but I can't figure out how to get it into the combo, I can only make it work in isolation. Then the instructor asked if we wanted to learn a combo or play a game. All the teens said game, and I didn't answer, but I suspected "game" was going to be a trick. It was. We played "Catch" which involved the instructor improvising a combo, then we had to catch 5 moves from it and create our own combo. I learned I have a horrible memory and could barely recall anything she did. Then, in pairs, we were to perform our combo, creating a sort of duet. It was neat to see what people did, and I am fine with doing this, although I don't know if I really used her moves or not. But I danced, and all was well and the world did not end, but learning a combo would have been much better for me! Where is my memory???? Next week she says modern only. I think that's a better use of an hour. No more dance until Tap on Monday.
public

-
2010-09-14 09:43:00
Tap take 2
Tap class! Tap class went well yesterday- we had two new people including a man who looked like he had never danced before (he did the hip hop class before tap, so clearly he had danced some...) Sadly, he left class about half way through- the tap class is big, and I think it's easy to get the impression everyone knows what they are doing. He was having trouble with the rhythms in the warm up, so perhaps he was a little right... it's only when the combo that the rest of us seem to fall apart. It will be interesting to see if he comes back to the hip hop though. I always wonder what brings people like that to dance. He was in work clothes, and regular shoes- almost as if he drove by and though - hmm, how about a dance class? It's fun to see all the adults who didn't dance as children coming in though. I think that's so great, because I love dance so much and can't imagine not having been able to dance when I was younger. I'm now back on the "stupid studio, will this work?" kick. Although I've got it lined up to go into the kids ballet classes next month, in tap last night Leslie started talking about the recital. She said something about having 6 months to learn the dance, so if you don't get it in the first 3, you have another 3 to learn it. I'm now quite worried that the entire spring semester is going to be repeating the same dance over and over- something I'm just not interested in, even more so because the recital dates (and I so would have danced) are the same as the weekend my Mom claimed for me 2 months ago that I have to go back to Texas. One of the ballet classes I'm in is "concert ballet"- and it was explained as a 45 minute class and 15 minutes of choreography. I'd prefer 0 minutes of choreography and a full class, but the other class is full. I'm just worried as recital comes near that choreography component is going to creep up and the class creep down... Which is made worse by the fact I won't be performing. But I think I will handle it when I get there. So class- to start the class, after a simple warmup, we learned a buffalo and a maxie ford. I'd done the buffalo, not the other. She put them together in a 8 count combo that was incredibly confusing, and I don't remember it now. It had some flap, pas-da-bourre step at the end Then we moved onto the combo for the night. This time it was 2 parts, and we did it both slow and fast, and changed songs multiple times. She's trying to instill that the tapping doesn't belong to any one rhythm and can be changed to suit the music, even with the same steps. Sometimes it doesn't seem to "go" even though the counts are right- but music with a strong beat I hear really well, and that's what we are using. (Don't get me started on most ballet music when it's choreographed to music and not counts. That I cannot hear at all!) So the first part of the combo was cramp roll (R-toe, L-toe, R-heel, L-heel), R-shuffle-heel-toe, L-heel (with toe up), R-heel (with toe flat) x3, L-stomp R-shuffle, shuffle, ball change, tip; shuffle-cross, soutenou turn We did this a few times before starting the next part of the combo. That was: R-paradiddle, L-shuffle, R-hop, L-step x2 R-heel, toe, heel, toe, toe, heel, toe, heel (para, para, diddle, diddle- she used to remember it) L- shuffle, shuffle, R-hop, L-step, R- stomp. It was a fun combo, and a lot more fun to do fast. At the very end of the class she had us reverse sides. I was kind of surprised we hadn't done it reveresed yet, and doing it reveresed at up-tempo made it very difficult. Not much success there, and I know I wasn't the only one! (BTW-I'm typing the combos so I remember them. I don't expect those who know tap to get up and try them. Though it sure would be fun if you did!)
public

-
2010-09-30 13:51:00
oops...
Oops- I forgot to update last week. So anyhow- tap class was hard, modern we did a fun combination. So this week: Tap class was even harder. It might be getting beyond my ability level (or at least it goes too quickly). We worked on time steps, and I eventually got them, but the combinations all go so fast it's really only parts I can do. Ballet: We did a pirouette/chaine combination again this week- and I love that. I am doing double pirouettes, but have no idea how good they are. Many of the other girls are doing "jazz" turns (totally turned in) so I don't know if I'm actually doing that and just think I'm turning out, since clearly the instructor isn't correcting it. Most of the class was modern and the combo was quite hard, and then we did a combo across the floor that she used as a "how quick do you pick things up" sort of test. My answer- not very. I'm really disappointed with this class as there seems to be a lot of follow the leader combos (the tap class too) and not much teaching or correcting. I don't think I'm getting better, because I'm only doing what I can already do and not adjusting the way I'm doing it- since I get no comments. Starting next week I'm in the kids ballet classes- ages 8-13. Hopefully they will be more "correction" based, and at least I know they'll be ballet. I really miss the Dayton studio. Even in the kids classes, although there is less chatting than the teens, I see them talking and hanging on the barres in between combos. In Dayton I went to a pre-pro school and the kids and teachers took it seriously. I did a trial Ballet 3 class and although there were class corrections and corrections to other dancers that I applied, I personally didn't get any corrections. Hopefully once I'm enrolled in the class (Ballet 4 Wed and Ballet 3/4 Saturday) I'll get actual corrections. I do miss skating. Kind of sad I'm dancing saturdays as that rules out skating at all :(
public

No comments: