Monday, January 30, 2012

January 4, 2012

Happy New Year!I have only one skating resolution:Take the Bronze Freeskate test.You'll notice I didn't say pass. At this point, I don't care. I haveprepared for this test THREE times and gotten injured right before Itook it every time. All I want this year is to take the darn thing.The test is in March.Yesterday, I filled out applications for two different competitions,Iowa State Games (february) and my club's local competition (march).I am in BIG trouble. Do you know how SOON February is? And, uh, Ididn't skate at all over the holiday break- time just flew away fromme. So now my program needs major cleaning, my backspin needscrossing, my sit spin sitting, and my loop jumping. I'm only enteringfreeskate, and just doing my test program- not trying to maximize forthe level. No point anyway, since the level is "adult". If the Goldskater comes, she'll have her program that is a minute longer than allthe rest of us, and has an axel and a camel. Yeah- a pre-bronzeskater can compete against that! Though I feel most badly for theno-test adult. Why bother calling it a competition? I'd rather havea critique than a 3rd/4th place ribbon that means nothing since itwasn't against people my actual level.Yesterday was first LTS of the year and Carlos taught since Carson isstill on vacation. We did the freeskate 4 spiral sequence, and I hateit. My right leg skating spirals are decent- above my hip, but notlike they used to be- but I can't do that mohawk going fast, so I ruinthe flow of the move. On the other side, I can barely get above myknee, but of course, that mohawk is golden... My hips are KILLING metoday. Carlos doesn't seem to care that I have bad hips (or badknees). I almost told him to stop pushing my chin up though... onemore second and my neck wasn't going to be able to take it...After 20 minutes of spirals we did 10 minutes of sit spins. My kneescannot handle 10 straight minutes, and the right one is really upsetwith me today... Carlos uses a different entry to help me stop doingthe down-up-down I use in my normal entrance (unless you have a greatsit spin, the going up to come down just doesn't look good). Hebasically uses a lunge position to enter, with the body leaningforward. I don't center as well (likely because I'm not used to it)but it does make me go lower. Problem is, I then lack the strength toget back up again- I don't go lower for a reason! My knees can'thandle it. After about 5 revolutions I can hear my knees saying "uh,Jessi, what are we doing down here? Do you have a plan for what comesnext? Because the quad is saying 'we aren't getting up' but the hip issaying 'Don't you dare fall' " It was nice to have someone tell meI'm getting lower, but it really hurt.I did a few backspins for kicks. Well, my leg is not miraculouslycrossing :( I hoped if I just thought really hard about it on thedrive down to Austin it would fix itself. But I think the spin isfine for the test. It is really just the loop holding me back, Ithink.

No comments: