Monday, January 30, 2012

Down she goes again...

What the heck? Two bad falls in a week!

But first- Friday exhibition went okay. My jumps weren't fantastic, as a result of the Wed. fall, but I didn't cheat my single toe loop. My backspin reverted to the foot tuck- NOT cool. And my loop was atrocious.That skate would not have passed. I have Iowa Games in 2 weeks, andcomp/test early march.Well then Saturday morning the zamboni had broken after one line, so we hada strip of clear ice through the aftermath of a crowded Friday night public- ick. Still, it was an okay practice. I stayed up late the night before (NOT watching men's short, sadly. We had people over for a fun gamenight). All my jumps were decent except toe loops in combo- still hurts.My backspins spun but were hit and miss on being good or just passable. It had gotten so reliable!So then the zamboni was fixed and we got beautiful ice for LTS. I did my 3warm up alternating F xover laps and was either turning or had just turned to do backwards, and then I was belly flopped on the ice.I have no idea how this fall happened. I didn't toepick, I didn't click.I landed first on the right butt cheek, then slid on my stomach, which makes no sense that I didn't fall left.I don't remember catching myself with my hands, so I think rather than trying to save the fall, my wrist got caught while I slid. I had to be helped up because I couldnt bear weight on the hand, and my legs were shaking, though nothing else hurt. Z., a novice skater waiting for axel plus group, untied my skates for me, while Sergei got me ice. The pain was just getting worse, so I was pretty convinced I broke it. I had Kevin'scar, so a skate Mom drove me home (I can drive my car one handed, but not his). She offered to take me to the ER, but it was not really a time sensitive emergency.Kevin and I went to the ER, and the x-rays did not show any fractures, itis "just a sprain". This is very small consolation, because I still can't move it, and even taking Lortab and Ibprofen, I'm in a ton of pain. At least I ca take the brace off when it gets itchy! Right now I have 5-10degrees of downward bend (with pain) and no upward bend at all. I can move my fingers with less wrist pain than yesterday.I'm trying to find out if Iowa Games will do a medical refund, if not I'll decide the day of if I should skate. This week I will be staying off ice.

No comments: