Monday, January 30, 2012

January 2011

-
-
2011-01-18 08:49:00
Long time no post...
It's because I've been up to nothing. No skating, no dancing. Nothing. The studio I went to last fall changed it's schedule and I'm not dancing there any longer. The alternate choice has a bad schedule, so I just need to figure out if I want to bother. I want to skate again, but I know that will just end in pain. Anyone have any sort of alternate sport suggestions? It can't hurt my ankle, knee, or hip, and can't be a whiplash activity (neck).
public

-
2011-01-29 17:19:00
On the ice
With the excitement of nationals week, I was really feeling the pull of the ice. So this morning I headed out to freestyle ice. I skated for 30 minutes, which is about what I used to be able to skate anyway (I could do 45 minutes on a good day before.) Some thoughts: 1) I took my break knowing that I needed new skates, so I either needed to buy them or quit. Turns out that 6 months in the closet did not help the skates. The ankle support was awful, the blades still need to be sharpened, and I think my feet got even fatter- they are SO tight on my toes. I definetly need new skates. I have blisters on the tops of my toes. 2) Ballet at 9:00 is way easier to wake up for than skating at 8:00 3) Wow I suck now. I got on the ice and thankfully just forward stroking did fine. I could do well at a public skate, so that's good! My posture was terrible though. I was very leaned forward, just trying to skate forward. My forward crossovers right over left are still good, and slide over the front foot. My left over right ones are horrible and back to the beginner step over style, and very tenative. My backward crossovers are still good right pulling over left, left pulling over right is slower and more tenative- especially when I try to transition to a backward outside edge at the end of them, the transition took me a long time! (Neither of the bad crossovers was ever great- they were always my worse side, but the backward one is my spin prep- so I need that!) My forward edges are scratchy but okay. My back outside edges are alright but flatten out and bump while I try to hold them- I blame the blades. I didn't try back inside. My 3-turns are about where I left them. My mohawks are NOT good. I didn't try outside ones (ACK!) but my 5-step is okay on my good side and non-existant on my bad side. I was so scared to do the mohawk on the bad side it was like a flashback to when I was learning that move. I didn't even think about jumping! My spins were BAD. Uncentered, slow, and I'd get super dizzy. I tried a 3-turn entry instead of crossovers and I got one awesome fast, centered spin. Then they went downhill again. I'm confident I can get these back if I keep practicing. I tried a few backspins- they aren't much worse than they were, but they were pretty bad. My right spiral is at my hip. I didn't try my left. My ankles killed me- the tendinitis was really kicking in on the right side. NEED NEW SKATES. My hips and knees were fine. Probably because I didn't do enough to aggrevate them. So now I have to decide- ballet, or back to skating? I finally heard about prices from the dance place, but I had kind of already dismissed them, so I'm ready to be done with that idea. I miss skating a lot. But I've invested a lot of money into dancewear, so that would be a waste if I skate. And to skate I'd need new boots- and since I think I need 3.5s instead of 3s, I'd probably need new blades too. But I miss skating! I think I need to go back to LTS- but I'm not sure I can handle freestyle classes- the same damn moves over and over again. But is it worth paying a private coach to get back what I lost? Or wait until I have it back? I think my old coach isn't at it anymore- so I'd have to get a new one, and anyone else is going to be more expensive... and I no longer get free ice. My knees can't handle teaching LTS anymore.
public

No comments: