Monday, January 30, 2012

October 2011

-
-
2011-10-24 15:28:00
Just a small update
I haven't posted in a long time, mostly because I'm stuck in a rut. Is it really that interesting to hear that my loop still sucks and I can't cross my foot on the backspin? So here is an update: Another session of LTS started and I am not happy with how they are handling Tuesday. "Power" (which is back to mid-freestyle) and Axel Plus have been combined. Obviously, this ain't gonna work. So the coach is going to do 15 minutes of each class. So I'm getting 15 minutes for a 30 minute class. If LTS wasn't so heavily discounted (30% off since I take 2 classes, am in the club, and always pay early) and it comes with my freestyle ice for the week (1 practice session per class), it is still a really good deal, but I just don't think that is right. Another adult joined the power class on my urging. She is 73 and working on freestyle 1 or 2. I thought the power class would be fun for her, because you can go at your own pace. But now it doesn't look like we'll be doing power anymore. She also takes the Sat freestyle class. Private lessons update: We tried a new thing for backspins. Starting with my right toe pick in the ice, I push onto my left foot and immediatly cross the foot and put the arms to the chest. At first I got like a quarter of a revolution, but now I'm getting one. This isn't going to build up to the spin (because the entrance won't do) but I'm just supposed to get into that position. It showed some improvement to the actual spin. More than anything, I think it is my arms that are messing me up. I hold them out like in pirouettes, and it just pulls the leg (which doesn't cross in pirouettes) trying to pull them in is just impossible, and often I end up holding them in front of my face like a boxer guarding from a punch. I got the skating safe hip pad, and my pants hold it in place nicely. I still haven't fallen, but feel like I am trying to be more aggressive on loops. It only adds a bit of thickness to my already thick thighs, so unlike my other pads I tried, I will likely just wear this one full time. Saturday freestyle update: Toe loop is getting a lot better. I did quite a few good ones. They are slow, but with a full pivot. Once again, it is my arms that are ruining it for me, I have to keep my left shoulder from dropping. If I make sure to pivot until I can see the side wall, it works out to be a good toe loop. In other news: Did you watch Skate America? I shelled out for IceNetwork but didn't get to watch all of it :( Totally worth the money though. And YAY Alissa! I need to get those used skates on the market while her signature is valueable -haha
public

No comments: