Thursday, March 8, 2012

Rework...

So we are reworking my program for Quad Cities this summer.  The footwork is gone.  In it's place is a waltz-side toe hop-salchow, and we are lengthening all the connecting steps between elements.   There is talk of adding in a flip, so hopefully one of the flip/loop works.  

So about that flip.  This is actually my idea.  Carson didn't want me doing flip before I got loop, because it is basically the same thing.  I have to jump off my left leg, and I lack the strength of it.  But he agreed that we should work on it, because loop is improving, but it could be years, and half-flip is my only jump that visibly leaves the ice.  So I did some half-flips and we worked on lifting the knee.  I figured he'd introduce flip in the harness (he actually did want to do the loop in the harness...) but oddly, the harness was missing yesterday. (Where does a harness go?)

So after 3 or 4 half flips, he said "okay do a full one". Um?  How do I go about that?  "Just go all the way around instead of landing"  Oh!  Well, by that logic I should be doing quads!  I mean, just keep going around! 
I have a severely under-rotated, two footed flip.  Holy crap this jump is hard.  BUT it is still higher than my other jumps, so it shows some promise.   I had attempted these in Detroit, but never really worked on it before, so we'll call today Day 1.  I mean, the loop only took 3 years or so (maybe longer...)  I should have this by the summer, no problem :)

Not having to focus solely on program we also worked on camel (the first 2 revs are okay, but my weight is too inside, I need to pull my leg out), change foot spin (not nearly as bad as my last attempt) and jumping higher.  For my test, he wanted to focus on power, so I skated fast into jumps, which made me hesitant, which made them small.  Now, we are reworking, no longer concentrating on speed into the jumps, but jumping as high as I can.  So for waltz-toe, salchow, and toe loop, I'm only supposed to focus on jumping UP.  Apparently I can do it (they are still small), but to combine the two is going to be tough.


All, in all, I feel like I don't have nearly enough ice time to practice everything. I need to start working on better turns too- because we really need to pick up the connecting steps if I'm not doing footwork.

3 comments:

T. Sedai said...

There is a training method you can use to work on your leg strength for jumping:

You get a small box (well, the high level skaters use a knee-high bench, but for those of us more inclined to stay on the ground, a small box is a good starting point). Then you jump up onto the box, landing on both feet, as square a position as possible. Then, you turn around and jump off the box. When you jump off, you want to bring your arms in to jump position as fast as possible and get as much "hang time" as you can. On the way up you will work knee bend and push off the ground, on the way down you can work the quickness of your arms. This will also help with general skating as it should give you the ability to push more quickly and develop more strength in your knees. You can practice this at home, so it won't take up precious rink time, but it should start improving your jumps on ice as well.

Anonymous said...

Thats right--in the fitness biz, it's called Plyometrics meant to develop quickness and explosive power. You don't even need a box to incorporate this concept into your fitness routine, although as you. Get stronger you will definitely want to up the challenge by adding the box. You can start with squat thrusts on the floor. Then you can up the ante by doing them sideways, as if you were jumping sideways over a big log but keeping your knees together the whole time and tucking your knees as high as you can as you jump over. Then you can do them on one leg, and so on. One of the best pieces of equipment for this is the step bench, available at any sporting goods
store, height-adjustable, and able to double as a weight bench, too! And do not forget, the key to power is core strength, so attend to that as well. And on-ice, as funny as this sounds, revisit your Waltz Jump and try to get it as
big and as high and as solidly-landed as you can. It is the fundamental jump for a reason. If you can find Maribel Vinson Owen's little primer on skating, you'll see why and it will all make sense. Good Luck and keep skating"

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm excited that you're working on the flip now! I never did get the analogy between the loop and flip, though. They don't seem the same at all. And I never felt the connection between 1/2 flip and flip, either. Can you re-try your test at Quad Cities competition? Have fun trying some new things!

M