Thursday, March 29, 2012

:(

Well maybe not sad, but not happy.

My lesson yesterday was just okay.  I did good loops in the harness.  Not so great out of it.

But something was going on with my toe loop.  I SKIPPED it in the program.  Just down right skated through it.  The set up felt off, so I didn't do it.  What the hell?  Toe loop is my BEST jump.   I had been landing it two footed before, so then when it felt wrong, I did not want to fall.  Why am I messing up my toe loop?  I am not happy.

Also, my left outside edge is slipping.  I just got my skates sharpened.  They lasted 20 weeks the first time.  This time it has been about 6.  Not cool.  So now I don't kow what to do.  If I'm actually testing (still nothing on the website) I kind of need to get them done now. But it seems too soon.  However, that is the worst edge to be slipping on.  It's my loop edge, and my landing edge. 


Scratch spins were hit or miss- either awesome fast and centered, or holy crap how did I get that far away from my starting point.  Carson told me "Hey- at least you are able to keep spinning no matter how bad the spin is.  I don't care what you do in the program as long as you get your revolutions."  Haha- he's right though. It is rare a spin is so bad I can't eek out 5.  (A few times yesterday I got to 15!  Problem is, I could count every one...)

2 comments:

Emily said...

Maybe you need to get a deeper radius when you get your skates sharpened. I think the standard one for figure skaters is 7/16'' and that's what I used to get. As I improved, I got to a point where I needed a deeper radius in order to feel secure and not skid on my edges. Now I get 5/8'' and it usually lasts me 3-5 months. (I spend 8-10 hours a week on the ice.)

Anonymous said...

A deeper ROH might work. I also get my blades sharpened every thirty to forty hours of ice time, rather than thinking in terms of weeks, but really it seems like you are doing quite a bit of skating that having them done monthly might not be a bad idea. One thing to ask yourself about your skate sharpener is are his results consistent? If you find that your blades feel different each time, you may have to point this out or find a better sharpener. Does your sharpener ask for feedback after each sharpening? Does he keep detailed records not just of sharpenings but also of what you're doing on-ice? All these are signs of a good skate sharpener.