Sunday, March 4, 2012

Not this time.

I did not pass.

I thought I skated well (though I two footed my loop in the program).  It was not as good as yesterday overall, but I thought the elements were just as good (I haven't watched yet.)  I know I skated slower, because I was behind the music, and I was shaking a bit today.  I took the mohawks out of my footwork because of these two things.  If I was skating with the same power as yesterday, taking the mohawks out would have had me ending late, and I didn't...

I did get a reskate, but knew that I would as soon as I landed my loop.  Originally they told me I needed to do another jump for the reskate- I could do a waltz jump.  I skated over to Carson and said "well, I passed this- they are letting me do a waltz jump to reskate for the loop!"  But then, they called me back over and said, "oh, no it has to be a single revolution".  Well, damn. And DUH!  I knew that was the rule.  (They did tell me I could try a flip instead- hahahaha).  So my reskate loop I thought was very good. Carson agreed.  two of the judges did not.    I guess since that is the only thing they had me reskate it somewhat means it is the only thing holding me back. 

The only thing I'm really pissed about is not a SINGLE comment on the toe loop.  I have worked my butt off to stop cheating that toe loop. There are not many low level adults who don't toe waltz, and it appears it doesn't matter that I don't.  I think that deserved a bit of credit...

Comments:
Judge 1 (Retry) - This is the judge who placed me first yesterday...
Tech: 2.4, Jumps were small.  Loop jump is not completely rotated.  Nicely controlled backspin.  Reskate- Needs more height and complete rotation.
Presenation: 2.4 Program needs more flow across ice.  Nice smile.

Judge 2. (Retry)
Tech: 2.3 Loop jump underrotated. Sit spin not low, but in a sit position. Reskate: loop sitll under-rotated. Other spins okay (not sure why it was in that order- I didn't reskate spins)
Presentation: 2.4

Judge 3. (Pass)
Tech: 2.5  Loop is underrotated. Spins were nicely executed. Sit could be lower but speed was nice.  Reskate- loop- better.
Presentation: 2.5  Happy attitude on the ice. Nicely presented.

Program video: http://youtu.be/LYYu3FhEfFQ
Reskate video: http://youtu.be/ntBpuhWtji0
 

Okay- just watched the videos.  I am pissed I got marked down on presentation (not like I would have passed anyway...) I thought it looked fine.  My scratch spin traveled pretty badly.  And I'm not entirely sure my reskate loop came off the ice...  But one of the judges, and Carson, both thought the reskate was good...

3 comments:

George A said...

I can feel your disappoint all the way here to Maryland. Next time--for sure.

T. Sedai said...

Awww, I am sorry you didn't pass your test. Other than the problems on the loop I thought it looked good, and I thought your presentation was very nice. Hopefully things will work out so you can take it again and pass the next time.

Anonymous said...

It's disappointing for sure, not to pass, but pat yourself on the back and some for the fact that a) you tried, b) you put in the hard work, c) you have presence on the ice, and d) you know you are tons better than when you began this whole foray into skating. So there! Oh, and e) whether you know it or not, you inspire me to get over my fears and just keep at it! Thanks for making a difference, and you'll get 'em next time.