Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Status Update

Since I last posted I've skated a number of times, quite a few LTS classes, and a private lesson.
I've re-upped for 2 LTS sessions, because as long as I use the two freestyle sessions, it is almost like they are paying me to take LTS.  Seriously....  Even still, I'm not sure how much I get out of the classes.  Probably something, and just being on the ice is important. 

Here is what we are doing in LTS:
-Flip entrance.  This is a lost cause.  We mohawk, pick, and then backspin.  Except not the backspin part.  Not even close.  I think we need a different approach because these are going nowhere.
-Change foot sit spins.  This is something I'd like to get good at, so it is good to work on, but man, mine sucks.
-Camel spins.  Anything I was doing well with this a month ago is gone.  Miserable.  Also, why is it so hard to keep my right arm in front of me while I hold the entry edge?
-Attitude spins.  Last night we added these.  Elka is surprisingly good at them, not the pretty leg position, but just staying spinning.  I'm kind of jealous.  Mine don't spin very well, and my leg position is awful.  Taylor told me to keep my right shoulder turned inward and look to the left, and it helped a bit.  Either I misremember or this is the opposite that Courtney taught me.  probably misremember.
-All the normal jumps and spins.
There are still territory wars in LTS, but I think we have it figured out.  Yesterday wasn't bad at all.

In private lessons, Carson was surprisingly receptive to my "I never want to do a loop again" statement.  Possibly because he knows I still have to do them in LTS (and I did an AMAZING one on Saturday. Shocked both me and him, but I have not repeated the feat.)  He agrees we were spending way too much time just to get one element (which was necessary for the test) and he likes the goals I have outlined.  We started with sit variations and he was happy with my efforts on pancake (well, except I don't really get my torso down, so it's more just the foot position) and back tuck spin.  I honestly was surprised at myself.   We tried flying sit, but I can't do it anymore. I don't think it is worth working on, since it no longer comes naturally (it was never that good) because it can't be used at bronze level.  I might try dance again and am looking for new program music.  Before I can do my program though I need to get the better spins together.

1 comment:

Diana T. said...

Focus on what makes you feel comfortable. I have issues with my back scratch I had my back spin when I was fs3 and now I lost it, and my flip jump have to work and get my foot crossed.

Happy Skate