Friday, June 8, 2012

I passed!

On September 27, 2008, I passed my bronze moves in the field test.  Since then, I have struggled with my loop, struggled with my backspin, and struggled with injury.  I have been put off the ice (twice) by knee problems, once by hip problems (that almost had me quitting skating it was so bad!), once with a shoulder injury, and most recently with a badly sprained wrist. 

But finally, 1,350 days later- I passed Bronze Freeskate!  I unfortunately did not pass it with a program that makes me proud (another coach told me: your standard is higher than the test standard...  That was nicer than saying "the judges are easy"- as they hadn't been easy for most of the session) but a pass is a pass.

Here are my comments:

Judge 1: Retry
Technical: 2.3  toe loop is not a toe loop, it was a toe hop  (I'm embarassed to admit this is true.  The single toe was the worst one I've done in six months, even though I got the pivot.  I toe waltzed in my combo.) next to the element it says "cheated".  Sit Spin not low enough.  This judge made no note of my third single jump, not even a check mark in that space...
Presentation: 2.5  presentation nice 

Judge 2: Pass
Technical 2.5:  All requirments met.  Nice centered scratch spin.  Sit needs to be lower.  There is a note next to loop that it was underrotated.
Presentation: Good ice coverage, nice smile

Judge 3: Pass
Tchnical: 2.5 Completed all elements, jumps could use more height. (understatement of the year...)
Presentation: 2.5  Covered ice surface, a bit cautious  This judge counted 4 sit spin revs, 5 back spin, and 6 scratch spin.


My coach was surprised by the ice coverage comments, because it was an Olympic rink, and I din't come close to covering it, but I'm guessing that means I had good coverage "for a bronze lady"  I still can't believe how bad my toe loop was, and my sit wasn't fantastic- though I did a great one in warm up.  My loop was decent for my loops. .  I had no reskate, so I left the ice pretty certain I had not passed, since that was 3 poor elements.

Because the test was during work, Kevin wasn't able to come.  I have no video of it :(

4 comments:

Mrs. Harer said...

Congrats :)

George A said...

Great news!

T. Sedai said...

Yay! Congrats! Very exciting! Passing a test always feels good, especially when you have been working a long time for it.

Diana T. said...

Congrats!! I will be testing Bronze MIF hopefully in August, I really want to test Bronze FS too but not sure, my backspin is not so great and my sit needs to go lower. My jumps are really good though and my dance step. We see how it goes..