Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Still no spins...

I am not a happy Jessi.

This week the ice was MUCH calmer than last week.  (Weird since this was the last practice before the competition for most people).  All my run throughs were okay, but my practice in general was not.  Major screw ups on the scratch spin (I mean- like not even holding three revolutions and doing wild loops down the ice), a few biffed sit spins (those held on for 3.  I just have to hold onto it and not make faces.)  Oddly, my backspin seemed okay.  Honestly- I think I'm ready, and I'm proud of where my loop is now.  I mean, you can totally tell I'm trying to do a loop!


What I'm really looking for is a chance to do my program without all the freaking people in my way.  I have 40-60 pounds on most of the skaters, I really need to learn to just plow through them!  Unfortunately, they have non-broken necks, so they have no fear, whereas I have tons...

Or I could learn to just skate like Tim.  He has such command of the ice, we just give it to him.  He wanted to run choreography of his program, but said he felt bad because "he didn't want to run people over".  I told him to just go, everyone else had done their programs, only M. was in lesson, everyone will just watch you.  Sure enough- as soon as he started, the entire ice went to the wall.  M. kept her lesson going, and occasionally Taylor (a coach/friend, who apparently facebook stalked me to my blog- hi Taylor!) kept practicing, but she wasn't always out there.  Tim had complete command of the ice.  He just walked through the program- no jumps, but his footwork has such power (and he has such dramatic arms and facial expressions.)  Why pay $300 for private ice when you can earn it through respect of the skaters out there.

Yeah, this doesn't work at rinks where there are tons of high level skaters, but a senior man at our rink is a rarity.  (I was also happy that Tim said to me it is evil that Carson makes me do hockey lines after program run throughs. I'm glad someone thinks that-because it is definitely evil.)

In other news, I found out that Carson isn't coming to the competition.  So it really is just the best practice ice there can be- totally empty, no skaters to dodge. No nerves that he'll beat me senseless if I cheat the toe loop combo (I seriously think that is his biggest concern right now.  He doesn't ever get mad at mistakes, but if I cheat the waltz- toe, I have to start over.) I'm ready for this test, and I know it.  I just have to convince my legs to do the steps!

2 comments:

T. Sedai said...

It must be nice to have a relatively calm practice before a competition - we had a 45-minute waiting list to use the music before our last competition. The week after almost no one was there. It was glorious. Anyway, good luck! You can do it!

Jessim said...

I was very surprised how calm it was. I think almost everyone there is competing or testing this weekend, and there was so much less drama than last week. A few of them might skate Thurs/Fri though, so maybe they are holding it in. I might actually try to skate tomorrow after work if I can.

It is a pretty low stress competition though- barely any events have more than a few people. Everyone seems to be using the competition as a warm up for the test, not just me.