Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Wrist update...

I skated for a second time with the brace on Saturday.  It went MUCH better than Tuesday.  Everything is pretty well back to normal, although my scratch spins are a little off.  However, I've done enough good ones to know that I shouldn't be off, but I do think the way my brace requires me to pull in to the left shifts my body weight.  I just have to adjust for it.   Backspin is spinning again, but my foot isn't staying out.  I'm just happy it is spinning.

I also did some jumping.  I only did two loops, and one was landed one footed, but the rest of my jumps are okay.  Just tentative.

I found that I was very scared to jump.  It is weird, because I didn't fall jumping, but I guess the thought is that I can't fall. 

I did a no-loop run through of my program, and it wasn't awful.  I had a cold, so my stamina and ice coverage was terrible though.  I need to work on aerobic capacity!

I'm beginning to think I won't have to do the test in the brace.  I have 3 more weeks.  The only problem is, if the test is the first time I skate without the brace- is it going to throw me off again?

My wrist has a fairly useful range of motion back.  It still isn't perfect, and twisting motions or heavy weight baring motions are difficult but I can do most things.  I can write again :)   And while I haven't done it yet, I plan to tie my own skates tonight.  (Kevin does it wrong. It's too loose or too tight, and it is very difficult to communicate how to tighten them without tightening over the ankle, or too hard at the top of the boot...)

I participated in a charity quilting day yesterday and I think I pulled the muscle under my thumb.  I believe it is the abductor pollic brevis.  I had no idea it was possible to overwork this muscle- but it was screaming by the end of the day.  I'm guessing that was a result of the wrist.  I need to take it easy and remind myself I'm not recovered yet!

No comments: