Sunday, February 26, 2012

Saturday Skating...

First, a few blog changes. 
-I updated my comment notification, so I'll get emails about them.  That means i'm going to try to do better about replying to comments! I missed reading a few of them, and feel terrible about it (I'm all caught up now).
-I also made it so that you can comment anonymously AND there is no longer moderation.  Still a captcha to reduce spam (I get a ton) but hopefully the blog will be more comment friendly now.  It makes me so happy when people read the blog!


So Saturday:
Went to freestyle and Carson was skating.  It always makes me nervous because I worry he'll judge my practice habits!  I am usually pretty lazy on Saturday freestyle because, well, I'm barely awake!  Anyhow- after about 30 minutes of skating, he told me to make sure to take it easy, especially if I was doing LTS.  HAHA- the opposite of my worry came true.   Has anyone ever had a coach tell them to NOT practice hard?

I started with 5 minute warm-up and then did a program run through.  The warm up wasn't fantastic, I totally biffed my sit spin (nearly fell over on my head on the entry). The pivots did help the waltz-toe loop though, good addition.  But then my run through was GREAT.  I landed my "loop" on one foot, I hit all my elements.  When I think about my test, I kind of want to throw up, but I think I'm ready.

So the rest of the practice went well.  Nothing remarkable.

LTS was good.  I worked on backspins and had some good ones, some okay ones.  The okay ones still get 3 revolutions though, so I'm happy.  Then we did waltz jump- loop.  I get better spring on this than my regular loop, but my weight is very central, which means I have no chance to land on one foot.  I'm totally two footed.  Still it was okay progress.  Then I went onto normal loops, and they were okay.  I am getting a little better at landing on the front of the blade, rather than the back, but still no toe pick take off or landing.  I've been instructed to just do releves to work on the feeling of going off the toe pick, and I can totally see the problem- the high cut of the back makes it nearly impossible to releve.  I should have got the cut down boots- the Finesse.  (But I bet that would be terrifying landing jumps...)  

After my test, Carson wants me to get used to skating with the top hooks of my skates unlaced.  He thinks it will give me better ankle bend in the sit spins, and fix this problem for the loop.  But it is terrifying, and we aren't changing anything right now.  (There was something else he said we were going to do after the test- I don't remember what it was.  Maybe backspin technique?)


And amazing news- even though no one in the class has a waltz-loop, and the other girls in the class need sit spin and backspin work, Carson is starting Freestyle 5 with us next session!  Thank the lord- I thought I'd be Freestyle 4 forever :)  (Of course, I haven't technically passed it...)  I am so excited to work on new skills.  Unfortunately, one of them is spirals.  Spirals make me sad, because I remember what they were like before I hurt my hip.



Still no schedule for the competition on Saturday.  I'll be there all day volunteering so it doesn't really matter. I just told the club President I needed an hour before my event to get ready.   Test time is 10:20 on Sunday, I am third after an ice scrape.  There are only 6 freeskate tests- the three high level ones are before 8:00, then there are the high/mid level MITF.  Then an ice scrape, then the low level freeskates.  Then lots of low level MITF.  I thought it was weird the high level freeskates got the worst time, but one of the girls in my group is pre-juv contingent, so it makes sense she would have needed to do MITF first. 

After the test session is a basic skills competition that I got asked to judge :)

8 comments:

George A said...

Hello: I'm enjoying your blog. Re: leaving the top hooks unlaced--check out this post on Babbette's "The Ice doesn't Care" blogspot about Katz Straps:

http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/2011/11/stiff-boots-rescue-katz-straps.html

After reading the post I ordered a pair (I'm breaking in new boots) and they do make a small difference--the beginnings of lace bite immediately went away. They may work for you and at the minimum they are a good way to secure the bitter ends of long laces.

Jessim said...

Thanks for the comment. I've read that post before, but hadn't thought about it in awhile (I LOVE her blog).

I don't have any lace bite problems, and my laces are actually too short- but if it provides a bit of security at the top, without quite so much support, it might be worth it.

It does just look like a loop of elastic. Is there anything about her product that would prevent me from just sewing that myself?

George A said...

No, I don't see anything too complicated about Katz Straps. As long as the elastic is good quality and provides the required resistance to give you a little flexible without letting the boot get too floppy then you could easily make a pair. Being inherently lazy I took the EZ road!

Jessim said...

Hmm- I might try to fashion a pair. See, while your second blog seems to be mostly sailing, mine is sewing!

T. Sedai said...

Ah, I know what you mean about having the back of the boot cut down - when I (finally) got custom boots Phil (head guy at Harlick - love him!) suggested I cut down the back of all my boots because of the shape of my ankle - and I love it! I can get great toe point, and I have good stability. Of course, I am not landing jumps, but I didn't notice that much change in support in comparison to my older boots (I was in Jacksons before), just less resistance when I pointed my toe. Actually, I used to split the Jackson boots down the back because of the pressure from my toe points.

As for the lace issue - I agree - do not change anything before your test! But it might be interesting to try the lace elastic band - let us know how it goes! I know that when I skate loops (figure loops not jumping loops) I only have 3 hooks laced and not 4 because I need to get a much deeper knee bend, but I also need a stiffer boot so to minimize ankle wobbles and edge deviations. I have gotten used to it, but I don't like having the laces unhooked for general skating (breaking in new boots is somewhat terrifying...)

Shmee said...

Good luck!!!! Loops are the strangest jumps, I totally understand how you feel. I struggled with them for alomst a year and half (albeit with three diferent entries) before I got them consistent. After all that work, I've concluded that so much of this jump is a psychological. BTW, the I love your blog! Hopefully my comments will now "make it through."

Jessim said...

My issue with the jump is psychological- the one footed nature is weird, but also physical- I am just downright weak on my left side. I can barely do one footed, non-rotational hops OFF ice. Stupid clockwise turning...

Babbette Duboise said...

The only thing about Katz Strapz is that the little metal thingy makes them visible on the ice. If you decide to go with just some elastic, it's worth it to color them or something so you can spot one if it pops off.
And for the record, I don't make them. I'm just a user.