Monday, April 30, 2012

Oh, come on!

A common complaint from coach's blogs is undue promotion in LTS.  This is mainly through the lower levels, such that when students arrive at the higher levels they completely lack the basics to be able to perform the skills.  Our program definetly suffers from this.  Freeskate 1 right now spends a lot of time working on skills from Basic 6-8...

I was unduly promoted through Freeskate 4 (I can't do a waltz-loop combo, though two coaches have called my loop a pass, but barely*).  I think officially though, our class is now called Freeskate 4/5- we work on some FS5 skills, but mainly because I think after a few years of it Carson was bored of only doing FS4.  This group isn't one that will likely EVER master those skills.

So after our first session of Freeskate 5, we got our report cards.  UM- Carson, I appreciate the vote of confidence, but the LTS program needs somework in upholdings standards.

Here are the required skills:
  • Back Outside 3-turn, mohawk into 3 back cross-overs (repeat 3 times)
  • Spiral sequence: Forward Outside spiral, FO 3-turn, one back cross-over, BI spiral (CW & CCW)
  • FO slide chasse swing roll sequence (3-6 times, alternating feet)
  • Camel spin (min 3 revs)
  • Forward upright spin to back scratch spin (3 revs per foot)
  • Jump combination: loop-loop
  • Flip jump
  • Jump sequence: waltz, falling leaf, toe loop

Here is what I don't have checked off yet:
  • Camel spin (min 3 revs)
  • Jump combination: loop-loop
  • Flip jump

  • Uh, what?  That means I have a pass on the footwork and on the spirals.  No WAY!  I can do the footwork at a snails pace- or maybe a little faster than that. I don't think that is what is intended.  As for the spirals?  Even on my good side I have never successfully done the three turn without two footing it, and my bad spiral isn't even knee level, much less hip level.

    I will say that my chasse sequence, my change foot spin, and the jump sequence are all passable.  So yay me!  But it is absolutely absurd to say that I have the other things at a passable level. 

    Also- why in the world is this jump sequence here?  I think it should be switched with the waltz-loop of the previous level.  How can you do waltz-loop in the same level you learn to do a loop?  Plus the landing for the falling leaf helps teach the landing for the waltz-loop.  Dumb USFSA.   

    And while I don't think I will ever pass FS4, I know I'll never pass FS5.  The spirals, and loop-loop will never happen.   I know I can get the footwork, eventually.





    *I think technically my backspin wouldn't pass either because I can't cross my leg anymore.  But I could do that YEARS ago when the element was checked off. Still, I have a fantastic backspin, other than that. It would be ridiculous to not consider it a pass for that level.

    No comments: