Wednesday, April 25, 2012

How do you say ARGH! in Russian?

(I ask only because skated related frustration sounds better when yelled in Russian...)

So, I'm testing at the beginning of June.  How's that going?  Not great- my new program layout is hard, and I tend to be ahead of the music.  I actually haven't really ever done a good run through.  No big deal- I've got time.

Or do I?

This week, no club ice = no lesson.
Next week- no ice AT ALL.  (They rented the rink to a dance studio...)
The week after that- lesson- woo!

And then, Carson goes to Atlanta to visit his family.  (He was apologetic and said his Mom sent him the ticket before he knew the dates.)  He gets back the day after the test.

Uh...

So when Carson showed me his schedule I asked if I could ask Taylor if she was available, and that was what he was going to propose.  Taylor can take me after her Wednesday student which works pretty well for me. She is a gorgeous skater so hopefully she'll be able to clean up my program, as well as add some choreography to fill the time now that I am not stopping before my backspin and the new layout lets me skate faster.  I guess it will be a good trial, as I'll need a new coach when Carson graduates (URGH! Coaches- stop leaving!) Although I don't know how much longer Taylor will be around either, even though she's an adult, not a student.

In other news, LTS went pretty well.  The 2 weeks off ice (except skating with my Dad and Kevin) didn't seem to regress me.  I did try to kill myself on a loop though (I was too far back on my heel, and the blade stuck into the ice on the take off, I immediatly tucked myself over and grabbed my knees, as this was sure to be a head slammer! Scared the crap out of me and resulted in a loud "shit!"  oops...) Oh, and the cussing on ice count yesterday was actually 2.  I was doing a back inside spiral on the circle, and as I went to step forward I see two kids (working on a program, but I couldn't hear their music) barreling toward me, in spirals.  They were very close, and my blade was pretty much at their head a second earlier so that resulted in a much quieter "shit".  I need to work on that....   (I later apologized to their coach because really, they were fine- I just freak out easily, and he said he told them to make sure to watch for people in group lessons, as they were in "our space".)


3 comments:

T. Sedai said...

Oh, I had an "oh shit" moment this weekend too! I was practicing for a dance test (we had them Monday night) and I was doing an opening, so I was going slow. Since we are skating on decades old wood that (although it got recently refinished) has seen better days, there are slight cracks between a few of the boards. Had I been going faster or hit at a slightly different angle, all would have been fine, but instead I caught my wheel just right in the crack, locked my skated together, and went flying through the air. I hit my left butt sooo hard - it is totally black right now. I knew I was going to do a head slam after the first hit, so I sucked in all my muscles to slow it down - did hit my head, but not too hard. I did pull all the muscles on the right side of my neck, so I was sore all over. After the fall my only thought was "thank goodness I didn't hit my right knee - I need it to do the scary turn in the dance test on Monday!"

Of course, that evening was a roller derby bout, and derby girls oil their bodies so they don't stick when the hit each other or hit the ground. This makes the floor super slick the next morning when the figure skaters show up. Yeah, I think there were 8-10 falls that morning, including my coach who pulled his groin. I wasn't one of them, but we all decided it was my fault for starting the trend on Saturday...

T. Sedai said...

Oh, and good luck on your test! A bit frustrating that you have to take so much time off in the next few weeks, but at least you have a date set.

MMarks said...

I'd go with чёрт! (chort) It means "devil" - a popular Russian expression of frustration is "the devil take it!" but sometimes you're so frustrated you can only spit out чёрт!