Monday, April 22, 2013

Spinning

My husband really loves to bike, so when we joined the gym I encouraged him to try some spinning classes (it was winter, so biking was off limits).  He resisted for awhile, telling me indoor bikes were too different from normal bikes, but finally he went.  Turns out he LOVES spinning (but not as much as outdoor bicycling) and goes multiple times a week.

Part of working out in the gym rather than skating is that I spend more time with him and less with elementary schoolers.  Of course, this doesn't work if we are always doing seperate classes, so I tried a spin class called RPM (rotation/revolution per minute).

The class was good- with RPM as the focus I expected more sprints and fewer climbs, but they were about even.  The climbing (high resistance, standing on the pedals) really hurt my knees, but when we were seated I did okay.

My "numbers" (RPMs and gear) are lower than what the instructor suggests for the class, but considering I really don't care for cycling, I think I did an okay job of keeping up with the class.  Kevin is a freaking rockstar and outdoes everyone in there (there are other men too)- the instructor seems to have a goal to beat Kevin in wattage. She would ask him what he was at, and he'd say like 420 or something and I'd have to try not to laugh because I'd be working my butt off and be at like 93.

So this is definetly something that I think I'm going to keep trying to do.  I will definetly need to get some bike shorts though.  My behind is SORE!!! 

(Also went to PT today and she told me not to stand when I climb...)

1 comment:

Courtney said...

I love spin class too!! Bike shorts are a must and I even bought a seat cushion at Academy. Maybe y'all can come to a class while you are down here this summer. :-)