Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Coaches...

So I noticed something today.  I've actually noticed it before, but I decided I'd post today.  ALL of our LTS coaches are male.  Carlos, Sergei, Burton, and Carson.   Does anyone else skate at a rink like that?  In such a female dominated sport, it seems really weird.   Our skating director said she's had complaints, because the girls in the class don't 'relate' to males, but that's silly.  They need to deal.  The coaches have such different styles.  Sergei is strict, Burton is fun, Carson requires good technique from freestyle, but is fun with little ones, Carlos really drills the basics.  None of them are intimidating (maybe Sergei?).   I think it is probably really good for the little boys in the program, though we don't have too many that stay to freestyle.

But serious- all the coaches are male.  We don't even have any female private only coaches right now.  (Taylor, but she's on vacation.  Tonya comes down occasionally, but she is really out of another rink.)  Weird.


My skating- well, I'm at a bit of a crossroads.  When I am skating, I feel good about it.  When I am not, I wonder if I want to stay skating. I really want to go back to ballet, but I don't think that is a good idea.  My hip holds me back there, and I'm fat and would be in a leotard with sixth graders.  I doubt my ankles can handle pointe anymore.  Ballet is a pipe dream...  I should just stick with skating, but I need a goal.  I think first two dances will be the goal.  At the wall, I tried RB cross behinds today.  I hate those things.

No comments: