Wednesday, December 12, 2012

I'm still skating...sort of

I haven't posted much, because not much has been going on.  I had 1 lesson in all of November, and it is looking more like that might be the case for December.  (My lesson this Saturday got canceled for a hockey tournament.)

I did have a lesson last Saturday.  If we ever find a test session, I am fairly ready to go on the first 4 dances.  Carson wants me to start learning the swing dance, so we'll be working on 5.  He also taught me the Golden Skater's waltz as something to 'add interest' (it isn't on a test)- but seriously, I have enough to remember, so I'm not sure I want interest!

Before my lesson I discovered if I start on the bad foot I can make the full rink of power pulls without losing speed!!!  And I was doing a lot better on my camel- about 3 revolutions and stand up to a scratch spin instead of 1 revolution and fall over.  Pretty exciting.  I got compliments on both during my lesson and also on my cross rolls! 

Sadly, 8-step mohawk is bad as ever :(   I don't think Silver moves is on the horizon, as I still can't do spirals.  I don't really understand why spirals hurt so bad when camels don't, but I must hold the leg differently. 

So nothing new on the horizon, and we haven't heard of a test session yet.  A coach said Omaha has one early February, but I'm not sure if a) they will since they are hosting nationals late January and b) if I really want to drive to Nebraska in the middle of the winter.

3 comments:

orangechiffon said...

For me it's the way I am holding my back, camels don't hurt because I'm just trying to arch and not to lift. Spirals hurt the side of my back just like an arabesque in ballet since I'm lifting my back and also lifting my leg against my back, if that makes sense.

alejeather said...

I'm glad you're at least getting on the ice from time to time. I miss your skating updates and still enjoy your posts at skatingforums!

sarahspins said...

Spinning naturally helps support your leg (centrifugal force wants to pull out and up while you spin - it's also why it's easier to do a sit spin than a shoot the duck) so it's not surprising that camels are easier on your hip than spirals :)

We are supposedly having a test session in February but it's not official yet (I hate how they wait until the last minute!) and I'm still on the fence about trying to test my silver moves. I think I'll be chickening out again - I can do everything in practice, I just don't have any confidence that I'll be able to pull it together if I'm having an off day.